2019 POTD Thread Archive

Worked on hunny do today. Chris wanted a hand towel holder mounted to the side of a cabinet in our bathroom. I had previously turned an oblong ball when trying out the ball turner. So I machined up a shaft base plate drill and taped the for 1/4 x 20. Screwed and loctite it together and presto a towel holder
Pictures below
e8fb2a4ac7b3cc0c428bfc687b4eb7d3.jpg
ed5a4bd27911f57329cb7f7cc81d99bc.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Made Some Airplane Parts:

A good friend of mine recently finished building an RV-9 airplane and flew it for the first time. I made a couple of flanged spacers
out of 303 stainless to dress things up a little. They replaced a stack of washers and spacers that worked fine, but looked a little
rough. Easy little job, but my friend was stoked. He said three more RV builders on the field want them too.

IMG_0785.jpg

Rod end is the push/pull rod for the ailerons. It's not clear in the photo, but the minor diameter is present
on both sides of the flange so that there's no possibility of binding in the rod end.

IMG_1840.jpg

The first flight.

Last edited:
I have the day off work so first thing in the morning i headed in the big garage to finish the rear bumper and hitch receiver. I had a lot of the pieces finished but today i put them together, i used a jack to hold the receiver in place and levels, tape measures to get it square and level, then i removed it from the car and finished welding it, i also cut and welded two small towing points, i have a lot to do today so the grinding and drilling will have to wait.
IMG_20190722_135747.jpgIMG_20190722_135737.jpgIMG_20190722_133920.jpgIMG_20190722_145856.jpg

Today i had to do some emergency car repairs. My brothers car started smoking from the hood really bad, he is not bothered with this but his wife and children started to get scared, so i put it in the big garage to fix it, it has two major leaks, valve cover gasket that is less than 1 year old and the hi pressure power steering hose is spraying like crazy. We order the hose and i started on the valve cover, the sparkplug holes wore full of oil to the top, so i vacuumed all the oil out and removed the LPG injectors and other things around but one spark plug was stripped at the socket hex, fighting with it took me more than an hour and ended founding a pipe that was close fit and hammering it over the spark plug that managed to grab just enough to remove it, then i power washed the valve cover dried it and applied some high grade RTV and installed a new gasket, when in there the mounts for the exhaust heat shield have snapped so i welded them. I put everything together and got the news that the hose will be here tomorrow so i moved to my little kei car its been sitting for 3-4 years i bought and repair it like the little niva that long ago to drive it around town to keep the mileage down on my peugeot and when winter came i parked it and is been sitting, so the brakes are sized solid and needs some hoses replaced. I started with the front brakes, had to take one of the callipers completely apart and had to remove a broken bolt, the piston was rusted in place , so had to polish it on my lathe also hone the bore installed new seals and put it together, the other side just the slides are stuck and had to bleed both sides. Funny how the day after your day off work you have to do 3X more work and this waits you home.
IMG_20190723_200734.jpgIMG_20190724_105550.jpgIMG_20190724_120846_1.jpgIMG_20190724_120900.jpgIMG_20190724_134548.jpgIMG_20190724_192154.jpg

Okay @rwm, that's just too darn classy for this site. Is that stainless hardware I see?

It is. I use it when something will be outside and I don't plan on removing the screw often since SS galls so much.
Robert

Slow night in the plant . I found a 90 degree Parker gearbox laying here with the output shaft demolished and decided to save the company $1450 . Tore it apart , separated the planetary gears and have where the shaft was a nice concentric bore to press and key a new shaft into .

Exciting 'eh ? :big grin:

Back