2019 POTD Thread Archive

View attachment 299748

I have one of those from the late 1940s, chromed steel, the chrome is peeling off....loved that puzzle, I could solve it but only by happenstance.

A rear mounted parting tool holder. Inspired by the the recent thread here and adapted to fit my lathe. I need to get the hardware, hopefully I can find a suitable bolt for the hold down locally. I suppose I can make one if needed.

It's a few thou high still, I figure I'll mount it on the lathe with a blade and test before the final adjustment cut.

IMG_20190806_010043.jpg

I like it! Is that steel or aluminum? The knobs on the side are an excellent modification. How did you flat the shaft? Would a surface grinder be the most appropriate tool to use for this? My shaft is a precision ground SS rod.

It is made from mystery steel including the knobs that are threaded 1/4" X 28.
To flatten the shaft I used a parallel in the vise on the milling machine to cut the flat.

Thanks
Ray

Reactions: rwm
Last few days the weather been very warm, i've been leaving the little niva to bake in the sun and i've been wet sanding it early in the morning and letter when the sun goes down. I've been leaving it in the small garage overnight, few more hours of wet sanding it will be ready for paint.
IMG_20190806_100709.jpgIMG_20190806_100545.jpg

Made billet air cleaner nuts for race cars today.
d8a38240e5f311f9a086e3871864aa25.jpg
71d9b6e6a2a38eb85aaf1a7fcaa80217.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did some welding on my lathe stand this afternoon. I'm getting closer. I have to weld the frame for the bottom shelf in place yet. I'm happy with it so far. I intended to use one piece of plate for the top. The lathe will just fit on it. I have two identical pieces which turned 180* would make a lot more room and overhang the drawers to keep chips out. Haven't decided which way to go with that. The pic has both pieces sitting on the frame. 20190806_163417.jpg

Today i did a lot more wet sanding on the little Niva, the weather was hotter than ever it pass the 40 celsius mark. The water coming from my garden hose at low flow was too hot to use, so i had to run the water at full flow. And finally managed to get it prepped for paint, there are couple of spots that are not the best but should be good enough. After looking thru my paint guns and other equipment i'm not equipped to do a good paint job, the paint will cost half my monthly paycheck so i'll call in a favor at a paint shop to have them spray it in there booth.

And finally managed to get it prepped for paint
I think we are all looking forward to seeing the Little Niva with a new coat of Paint. You are getting very close to looking for a new project :)

I often paint large items outside. In the heat of the day the paint can flash too quickly, wait till evening or early morning and you get bugs stuck to the paint. If you can get it done in a booth you'd be beter off.

Greg

Back