2019 POTD Thread Archive

Yeah, i have many small unfinished projects that i'll finish before looking for a new one, but some time projects find me.

F350ca, i'm asking around, there are couple of good body shops that own me favors, i may be holding the paint gun but won't be in my dusty garage.

I hope there will be some shots traveling over impassable routes :laughing:
Awesome project cant wait for the finish.

Tried to do a Video of making a pushrod for a Hit and Miss engine. But lost most of the video. Even did some milling and removing a broken off set screw on a collar for the pushrod. and all I got was a little shot and a lot of static.

Kens Hobbies
Hope I have better luck next time. I have a bunch more stuff to do on it.
Ken

I decided to have a go at making a con-rod for the crankshaft I made earlier.
This took all day today.
I started with a wedge of Swiss cheese,
conrod-1.jpg
and faced it into a block of Swiss cheese
conrod-2.jpg
I cut the block in half and soft soldered it back together, drilled it through the cut, thinned it down, drilled two holes in the end and bolted it to a 10mm flat steel plate with a keeper plate. I got the keeper idea from here
and as it now looks like I am going to build a steam engine I will probably steal the Stephenson's link design from here as well.
Then back in the chuck between centres and turned down
conrod-3.jpg
then flat in the 4 jaw to bore the big end out.
I was given a set of telescoping gauges a couple of years ago and this is the first time they have been used.
I like them.
conrod-4.jpg
I was able to bore the big end to around a thou under size so its a very tight fit on the crankshaft.

conrod-5.jpg
so I gave it some wellie to run it in, tightening it down after a while.
conrod-6.jpg
This worked very well and didnt flap around, the blue stuff is chain saw bar oil.
Its still too tight so tomorrow I think some plastic for the rod to slide on and leave it running.
An expanding reamer would be nice but I dont have one.
The keeper plate and the corresponding part on the end of the rod will be thinned down to what looks right.
My theory on the swiss cheese is the holes will hold some oil helping this along.
Now I have to think of how I will make the little end

Last edited:
I'm always impressed by the things you make on your lathe! Now a question:
... so I gave it some wellie to run it in, tightening it down after a while ...
What's a "wellie"? I've come to really enjoy the "common language that separates our two peoples," and can usually understand British or Aussie terms. But this one's new to me.

Short for Wellington boot, in this usage it means putting the boot down on the accelerator.
The expression "Give it some wellie" means speed it up or use more effort.
Sometimes it was used "Give him/them the wellie" where wellie replaces the word "boot" and means "Give him the boot or sack ie termination of employment.
Its an English expression from my teens so I doubt if its used as much today.
I also love slang and believe it adds colour to a language.
If you like the differences between the three forms of English what about "Root"
USA, root for your team - cheering them on
AUS, root through your drawers - searching for something
UK , a good root - the sex was excellent
drag yer plates a meat down the apples and pears along the frog an toad to the rubba-dub for a pigs ear.

Short for Wellington boot......drag yer plates a meat down the apples and pears along the frog an toad to the rubba-dub for a pigs ear.

A little cockney rhyming slang? Don’t know all of those, but i think you’re dragging your ‘bones’ down to the pub for a beer. Colloquialisms are cool. The ‘trouble n strife’ is one of my faves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not bad, take your feet down the stairs along the road to the pub for a beer.

Ah, yes!

A little cockney rhyming slang? Don’t know all of those, but i think you’re dragging your ‘bones’ down to the pub for a beer. Colloquialisms are cool. The ‘trouble n strife’ is one of my faves.

Trouble n strife = your wife
Fat n wide = your bride

I guess Cockney doctors have rhyming slang for their patients and medical terms. Great stuff.

Back