2019 POTD Thread Archive

Mind you rhyming slang doesnt rhyme any more, quite often the last word is dropped and occasionally another that rhymes with the first word is used instead.
get yer barnet cut is get your Barnet fair cut or a hair cut.

The little Niva is Yellow again. I had to drive it couple of dozen km without both windscreens and with the seat not bolted in. We managed to sneak it in, in between shifts in a large professional paint booth that way it was free. The color is a shade darker than the original but it pops more. In the hurry to get it painted i forgot to mask the front grill and exhaust. The paint lay down smoothly not much dirt in it, not bad for less than an hour in and out of the booth.
IMG_20190808_121434.jpgIMG_20190808_121444.jpgIMG_20190808_121452_1.jpgIMG_20190808_121512.jpg

Wow! It looks absolutely FANTASTIC!!!!

I've been away from this forum for a long time and often thought about you and your "little Niva".

My first visit back and I find this post about your progress. Made my day!! Your determination and skills are very impressive. :encourage::encourage:

Today i'm back to work on the little niva.
I started with installing the Lights, markers, turn signals, almost everything is bend new so it went together quickly but the wiring for them took some work. And of course nothing is working, i did test them to the first connector they are connected but the wiring is a real mess, burn wires, mice damaged wires, corroded connectors, old style italian fuses that work or not depended on what bump you hit when driving. I also assembled the chrome trunk handle and lock, more thing i put on more it starting to look more like a car again.
IMG_20190808_203722.jpgIMG_20190808_203730.jpgIMG_20190808_203654.jpg

Adapter for a Reliance Aqua-tainer spout to 3/8” NPT so I can fill my RV. The spout had an oddball thread - little under 1 inch and 14 tpi. 3/4 pipe was a little too big, but easy enough with the lathe.
C53332C2-ED0B-47FB-AF90-A95EF81B172D.jpeg

Discovered that is indeed possible to break Delrin chips with enough feed.

I totally cheated. I wanted a way to organize my AXA tool holders, and I'm too lazy to 3D print some. So I ordered 1.5" x 0.375" (3/8") 6061 aluminum flat bar, threw it onto my Harbor Freight mini mill with the Wen angle vise (pretty cool, but not terribly accurate - something I didn't need in this case). I milled a 30-degree angle onto the flat bar. I know this first picture is difficult to see the mill and vise, but here it is anyway :

IMG_7847.jpg

IMG_7848.jpg

Then I test fit some of my AXA tool holders.

IMG_7849.jpg

IMG_7850.jpg

Now all I have to do is drill through it, counterbore, and attach them to where I want them (I might have to build an angled bracket so I can get them in tighter and more efficient, we'll see). They are definitely loose (if you need it solid, you need to start with something larger than 1.5" width bar stock, but the 0.375" is still a good height for the AXA holders). This is what happens when my wife gives me a day to play.

Back