2019 POTD Thread Archive

My take on the grillgun. Still have a couple parts to make
View attachment 301408
I assume (and HOPE) that's a "zero percent" AR lower you're using. Just be careful! Legally, the lower is the "registered part" of an AR (ie, the "gun"), and we'd all hate to hear that you'd fallen victim to some kind of overzealous LEO.

It is a zero% No ar parts will fit in it at all. The mag well is solid on the bottom and the half of a mag with no inners is bolted to the bottom.

It is a zero% No ar parts will fit in it at all. The mag well is solid on the bottom and the half of a mag with no inners is bolted to the bottom.
It also looked like you milled through the wall that is supposed to be between the mag well and the fire group. I don't think it can be used later in a different capacity. Be aware that we had an experience with someone unfamiliar with bullets enough that a vendetta was initiated against someone over a perceived thought. He wore a necklace with two bullets (not the cartridge, but just the projectile itself). The other party thought it was still dangerous, and a war ensued.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

This will never be a firearm. Just on over the top weed burner. to light my smoker. It is milled between the fire control pocket and the mag well. A piezo igniter goes in there. similar to a one already sold that looks like a 1911 sorta. And only used in my back yard.

Thanks for the clarification. I figured you'd probably be careful ... just call me paranoid.

Milled a couple of side plates for the maybe future steam engine.
main-bearing-plates.jpg

I swiveled the milling slide to get the diagonal cut horizontal then swiveled it the other way to cut the vertical.
main-bearing-plates2.jpg

The c/shaft sitting on top. The bearing caps will be split then bolted back and bored approximately where the hole is in the side of the plates..
main-bearing-plates3.jpg

I'm having a problem about whether to just keep the bearing steel on steel or copy what I did for the big end and make it from brass.

Got back from New York safely with the 4 wheeler , zero turns and chain saws about 4 hrs ago . All mowers and 4 wheelers are now home . Off to work in 1/2 hr . :rolleyes: Little bit tired after driving 370 miles . Watching This Dorian thing down south as we leave for Surfside Beach SC Sunday if there's anything left of it . I think after that I can devote time to the shop finally . :encourage:

Today i'm working in the big garage. The engine is still apart and i'm waiting for parts for it. I need to fix the brakes on it also, so the brake job from hell started. This vehicle has more than a million miles on the chassis, obviously the calipers are not original as they are FS 3 calipers from the sporty models but the bracket that is cast as one with the entire suspension hub is worn down and the brake pads can more 1/4" up and down also the sliders for the calipers are worn and the brakes have a nasty shake on the highway couple of months back this car was at mechanics shop where they "repair" the brakes, my brother then brought the discs for me to turn them on my lathe so i know they are straight. To fix this i clean the rust and welded the worn places then using grinders and hand files made it smooth and straight, then i installed new sliders, pins and caps on the caliper, when the time come to assemble it i found out the shop that did the work before me had knocked out the retaining clip for the inside brake pad and cut off the low brake pad sensor. Man was i upset, but it was late so i went thru my spares found an old set of pads and removed and install the clip on the pads. Finally i had to drill out and thread the M6 hole for the bolt that indexes the brake disc. Before i put the wheel back on i did a bolt check and the lower arm bolt was loose as it can be also the inner nut was spinning inside so no removing it or tighten it. So i cut a slot and welded the nut then i welded the cut i made and painted it with some black paint. Then i tight down the bolt, by this time it was way past midnight so the other side will have to wait till tomorrow, you can see how worn was the bracket in the last picture.
IMG_20190905_172253.jpgIMG_20190905_180756.jpgIMG_20190905_180813.jpgIMG_20190905_181302.jpgIMG_20190905_182750.jpgIMG_20190905_183109.jpgIMG_20190905_184405_1.jpgIMG_20190905_185148.jpgIMG_20190905_191023.jpgIMG_20190905_194249.jpgIMG_20190905_195713.jpg

My first welding project, a shelf to hold my metal stock. Made from 1/2" square steel tubing, and expanded metal. I was lucky and found a couple of pieces of 2" square tubing in the scrap pile, which worked out great as the base to give it solid footing. Not shown but it sits on 4 leveling feet made from 3/8" carriage bolts and nuts. One nut welded to the tubing, one as a lock to prevent the feet from changing position once set.

MIG welder is proving to be a handy tool, its like a really manly hot glue gun. :grin:

The shelf

shelf 1.jpg

and doing the job I made it for keeping my metal bits off the floor and somewhat organized. Top shelf aluminum, middle shelf brass, stainless steel, plastics, misc non-ferrous materials, bottom shelf steel and iron. I designed it to fit into the otherwise wasted space in the corner behind my mill.

shelf 2.jpg

Back