2019 POTD Thread Archive

Several months ago I found some undimensioned sketches on the net that showed how to convert a coax indicator to a 3D taster. Seemed like an interesting project as I had a cheap import coax indicator that I bought several years ago that didn't get used much. After gathering the necessary materials, i.e. a 6mm rod end, #9 carbide drill, 6mm - 1.0 carbide tap, and a ruby tipped stylus I went to work.

Here's the finished product.
IMG_0975.jpg

This is a layout of the individual parts before assembly. There is a spacer that goes between the plunger shaft and ball that is not shown.
IMG_0964.jpg

After assembly I mounted the taster in a collet and adjusted the stylus runout until I got it within .0005" TIR. Using a 123 block clamped in my vise and a edge finder as my reference tool I located my X and Y zero points and set my mill DRO's to zero. Using my new 3D taster I probed the 123 block X and Y axis and set the taster dial to zero. I took the taster in and out of the spindle several times and probed the 123 block and it repeated to less than .001" each time. I haven't tried setting the Z axis height yet but that is the next step.

It's important to mention that the dial markings are not 1 to 1. In other words if you locate an edge and need to offset from that edge use the hand wheel dials or DRO to get your offset.

I'm pleased with the results at about 1/3 the cost of a Haimer.

Interesting. Where did you find that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had bought a adjustable sine table acouple weeks ago without the table. So the project was to make one or two. First one was a fubar my dowel pin alignment holes were off a touch and would align correctly. Good thing was the second one was about half the time to build. All holes are reamed and was amazing to have it slide on without a wiggle. Once the mounting holes were all done I drilled, chamfered and tapped a bunch of holdown holes. Then ground both sides. Felt really good to bang this out from raw stock in a 3 hr window I had while the wife had the boy out shopping.
C4AAE4DB-C84C-4187-82A0-23775F123D97.png3FD96BC2-A034-4C9C-AB63-09516F3B6725.png

Interesting. Where did you find that?

I think you were responding to my post. If not disregard this response.

I've attached a write up on what I found on the internet and added a few comments about how I approached my project. My plan is to disassemble my taster and make up CAD drawings of the individual components.

This sketch doesn't show a spacer between the heim joint ball and shaft. The length of the spacer can be modified so that the needle on the indicator ends up where you want it.

Here's the sketch I found on the net.
3d probe4.jpg

Attachments

• 3D Taster.txt
    2 KB · Views: 12
I think you were responding to my post. If not disregard this response.

I've attached a write up on what I found on the internet and added a few comments about how I approached my project. My plan is to disassemble my taster and make up CAD drawings of the individual components.

This sketch doesn't show a spacer between the heim joint ball and shaft. The length of the spacer can be modified so that the needle on the indicator ends up where you want it.

Here's the sketch I found on the net.
View attachment 302167

Excellent, thanks! I’ll have to dig into that. I have a Haimer at home that is the cat’s pajamas, have been agonizing over dropping the coin for another at the shop. This may be the solution!

Never heard that word before (except for food and wine)
Whats it used for?

It’s German and seems the closest approximation is ‘caliper’. However that doesn’t well describe the device. ‘Sensor’ is the way they translate it in their literature. But, it is a 3d edge finder. Really a pleasure to use but rather spendy.

My German is a bit rusty, but as best I can recall, "taster" means something like "toucher" or "something that touches." "Tastatur" is a keyboard.

UPDATE - Found this on interglot.com:
Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 9.38.08 PM.jpg

Back