2019 POTD Thread Archive

Tested the repowered blower from https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...you-make-in-your-shop-today.67833/post-685396 and it worked ok, but thinner, not really dry branches would bend between the impeller and housing instead of getting chipped, so I think I need to reduce the width of the spacer I made a bit.

Also, I finally dug into rebuilding the hydro controllers for a walkbehind mower I have, that I'm making a brush attachment to use it during the winter for snow removal. They need rebuilding as both of them won't stay "neutral", I can adjust them to be natural, then use the machine for a couple minutes, and it will creep forward/backwords and/or turn left or right randomly. Naturally, these setups have no kind of drain, it's just unplug something and get some of the oil out, then unplug the rest and clean up the mess and oil oozes out from everywhere... I've got one of them torn apart and bagged/labelled (it's how I keep track of what bits get put where when I take things with lots of small parts apart).

If I'm bored tonight , a stainless wind chime will be in the works . ( just using up scrap material ) . :)

POTD was a follow-up on the prototype Ergonomic /flange bender tool from a previous POTD post. I put the wooden prototype over the door part and needed to make a couple of tweaks before cutting the Delrin final tools. Here's the link to the original post:

Problem was the part that the “U” section slips over is wider at the base than at the spot where the tool pushes against. The tool rocked enough that it tended to slip off on the back side. Simple fix, lengthened one leg and added a radius “chunk” on the end so the point where it touches and reacts against on the back side are parallel to each other, so no slipping.

The tools will be used on both sides of the assembly line, so made five which gives us a few back-ups. The CNC routine is stored on my Tormach so no problem making more if need be.

Thanks for looking, Bruce

Block of Delrin in the Tormach 1100 cutting the new profile
20190924_192834.jpg

Secondary operation to cut a boss on the end which slips into a piece of tubing for a handle.
20190924_193917.jpg

Final flange bender / Ergo tool
20190924_193944.jpg

Made up 5 for our floor. We'd measured as high as 45 lbs. of effort to seat the part which is way over the Ergonomic limit of 20 lbs. The length of the handle maths out to a force of 8 lbs. at the end to get 45 lbs. at the reaction surface, so no sore thumbs for our Team Members.
20190926_075021.jpg

Front glass run channel for the Buick Enclave. The upper clip in the photo was tough to seat. Solution is the simple machine of a lever so no one goes home sore at the end of the day.
20190926_075121.jpg

Slip the tool over the glass run channel and give a little push on the end to seat the clip.
20190926_075039.jpg

20190926_075057.jpg

Definitely an upgrade from a quickfire ! :)

Back