2019 POTD Thread Archive

I finished my screw and nut for the 9a. I used bearing mount locktite on the screw as well as pinning it. I'm giving the locktite a day to setup before reassembling the crosslide. I thought I had a pic of the finished nut...I'll have to post more pics tomorrow.
6639fa788a6b81ff2c09c4f11d520061.jpg
07fe52aea5db165f61b5148d53845cbe.jpg
52f7a2d3a5053c62c859a02f7de3861d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I spent about an hour grinding a shim, installing it, removing it, grinding another 0.00025 until I got the fit I wanted on the dial. Everything works nice. About 0.001 backlash.
d489ca4b6b4da34256fc7796bb99df83.jpg
00a1d5d8c1da805c2514e9a282f87c1d.jpg
b0b48f2dd683e8c79ebbac434be80fb0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Spent way too long installing a security light on my garage. It's the "recommended" solution by the local police to deal with theft from vehicles. I'm also researching a camera/recording setup, as I'm sure it's someone local who regularly tries to get into my truck, as well as my garage. And maybe also a gate across the entrance to further discourage the miscreants.

Spent way too long installing a security light on my garage. It's the "recommended" solution by the local police to deal with theft from vehicles. I'm also researching a camera/recording setup, as I'm sure it's someone local who regularly tries to get into my truck, as well as my garage. And maybe also a gate across the entrance to further discourage the miscreants.
I put up Ring motion lights with built in cameras. Not great resolution, but could be good enough to get some evidence to forward to the police, especially if you get a couple lights from different angles. The added benefit is you can monitor on your phone if you're not home as well as remotely sound an alarm (albeit not a very loud one).

Sounds like you need some Guard Dogs that know how to take care of unwanted pests.

Just be wary. I have done five variations of security cameras that are on the network (ip cameras). Every single one of them dumps images and video feeds to a Chinese cloud provider. This is how phone access usually works.

It means your video feeds could be available to anyone on the Internet if the providers didn't do their due diligence or care.

The ring devices could also be suspect, I have never installed one of them (after it was released that they could dump wifi configuration by jumping a pin inside).

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Maybe just place a trail cam somewhere where it will pick up movement and record onto the devise itself. Then check it if someone has gotten into a car.

And place a couple signs “Smile for the cameras”

I solved the possibility of leaks from the IP cameras by putting them on an isolated VLAN with no internet access. They can only see the internal server used for storing the data. If I want remote access, I use VPN.

While perhaps complex for a machinist forum, it is common practice in modern networking. If you don't want to do that, you're probably better off using a vendor you decide to trust like Ring or Nest. Both of those probably know everything about you already anyway. :)

I've had my NightOwl (non IP) cameras installed for 3+yrs, they cover the outside perimeter of the house and the garage. It's accessible via the Internet so when we're away on vacation etc we can still keep an eye out (we actually turn on the inside cameras to keep an eye on the cats). If someone wants to watch the outside of my house, be my guest...in fact I can give them my virtual voice line so they can alert me if they see anything suspicious ala ADT. Oh ocassionally a shirtless guy makes his appearance in the garage...don't mind him :D

Oh ocassionally a shirtless guy makes his appearance in the garage...don't mind him :D

Oh, you machine nude too? Freeing. Have to watch the temperature of the chips though! :grin:

I solved the possibility of leaks from the IP cameras by putting them on an isolated VLAN with no internet access. They can only see the internal server used for storing the data. If I want remote access, I use VPN.

Same here. I run 8 cameras. all are direct Ethernet connections (no WiFi) and none store to the cloud. They all record when motion is detected. If your goal is to stop the theft (vs catch the thief) then go find some cameras that no longer work. bound to be cheep and put them in very visible places.

Back