2019 POTD Thread Archive

As a followup to this POTD (https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...you-make-in-your-shop-today.67833/post-685045), it worked OK for awhile, but then the step key I used sheered. From examining it, I think what happened was that, as the step key wasn't full-depth for either side (it's stepped from 1/4" for the impeller to 3/16" for the crankshaft, it took a little time, but centrifugal force reduced the depth of the key in the crankshaft (which started out as 3/32"), and then the force exerted on the bit of the step key still in the crankshaft from chipping branches was too much.

So, now I need to figure out how to make, or where to buy a "better" step key, that will fill more of the keyways. I might also try using a bit more of the step key stock I have, and put a strip of thin sheet metal in the impeller's keyway, so the key will stay mostly engaged with the crankshaft.

Yeah, conversation piece alright. I stared at the photo for about five minutes trying to figure how you get 11:00 out of that. The I realized I had misread your post and the proper time of 1:10 ....... duh...... :rolleyes:

As always, nicely done.

-frank

Needed a metal can for hot bluing some parts.

Made it out of an empty butane gas can. I cut the top off and hammered it a little to create a lip which would not cut my fingers.

Parts are now heating in the owen. Will also show the parts later today.
b163f65a7e2f6f3914b4865fa4813f65.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Finished up this clock today. It uses a Archimedes spiral to indicate the time. Should be a good conversation piece.
Made of maple with an aluminum spiral.
The time is 1:10 o'clock.

View attachment 304073

View attachment 304074

Thanks for looking
Ray
That is certainly an unusual clock face, takes a little getting used to. Nice work by the way, great job. Does it use a standard clock movement and the hands are what make it unique?

That is certainly an unusual clock face, takes a little getting used to. Nice work by the way, great job. Does it use a standard clock movement and the hands are what make it unique?

I used a high torque 12 hour model movement but it probably was not needed.

Thanks
Ray

Needed a metal can for hot bluing some parts.

Made it out of an empty butane gas can. I cut the top off and hammered it a little to create a lip which would not cut my fingers.

Parts are now heating in the owen. Will also show the parts later today.
b163f65a7e2f6f3914b4865fa4813f65.jpg

Here is the outcome.

I re-blued my vise clamps. Initially were cold blued and this did not work out properly. Surface rust was detected on top of the bluing. Therefore the parts were sandblasted and heat/oil blued.

The parts did not quite reach blue. They are a dark brown due to the owen temp limit.

But the colour is nice and uniform and I did not want to use the torch for more heating. This would have created an uneven finish.
5e5f24b6695a78cdeda041b143dd9bb8.jpg

Back