2020 POTD Thread Archive

I got a good deal on a couple of Kennedy machinist tool boxes stuffed with tools, and after we completed that transaction, the seller just threw in a small craftsman router table with a small 3/4 hp router installed in it. He didn’t want it, but I didn’t need it either...it sat around. Then, somewhere I heard about a “chamfering tool” and thought maybe this could be the platform for it. I took a 12” long piece of 2” angle iron, milled out the interior web radius to a sharp 90 degrees, cut V notches in some Delrin, drilled a hole right down over the router spindle and bolted the whole assembly to the router table. I used a 1/4” HSS end mill in the router and let it stick up slightly through the hole in the angle iron. With the router running, you can slide a block along the V over the end mill, and cut a nice chamfer. Depending on the stickout of the end mill, you can adjust from a very light breaking or deburring of the edge to a thin or wide well controlled chamfer.

I apologize for the video, but I hope you get the idea. I am kind of surprised how well it works. And this really demonstrates climb vs. conventional milling if you run it through the wrong way. This is a block of aluminum run through at whatever RPM a Sears woodworking router turns. Wish it were quieter, though.

View attachment 4783BA3D-EBFC-45D4-96C8-C181AD7D4CF8.MOV

Made a spider with tachometer for a 1340GT owner who doesn't have a mill. Started with some 1045 steel rod and used a 1.25" annular cutter to through bore from each side and then center bored to 1.59" with a 1" carbide boring bar. Spindle end was further turned to be +0.0005" over the spindle diameter and then the spider was transferred to the rotary table to mill/tap the bolt holes. The tachometer sender is mounted to an aluminum bracket that will clamp onto the cover support post.

20200209_171741.jpg

F350ca, I have to admit your chamfering machine beats mine all to heck in style points!

Built a better spindle motor adapter for the CNC bed mill. Previous adapter lifted the motor a bit too high resulting in an uncomfortably small amount of pulley engagement. The new adapter step brings the motor down by about 7/8" allowing for much more engagement.
Started with an 11" diameter 6061 drop from eBay and did the majority of the hogging on the lathe.
IMG_20200203_201111.jpg
IMG_20200204_181541.jpg
IMG_20200204_200448.jpg

Cut the edge profile and bolt pattern on the CNC using the old adapter.

IMG_20200206_172218.jpg
IMG_20200206_193711.jpg
IMG_20200206_204041.jpg

Finally had to open up the bore on the head casting to allow for belt adjustment clearance.

IMG_20200210_164848.jpg

Waiting for a new AX style v-belt to arrive, which supposedly can transmit more HP than the stock 4L belt.
Hoping the reassembly goes smoothly this time!

Today I made a metal bending tool to fit my Hardy Hole in my home made anvil.
The round posts are 1/2 inch rod I scavenged from an old printer. P1020657.JPG
I machined out a pocket for the post to fit in with enough room for a respectable weld.

Also, I ran some beads with my new Everlast 210 EXT at 160 amps and it does a fine job. Also, I am wondering if anyone
knows if one could TIG weld in the imperfections caused by the stick welding. There is slag in those black areas so
hoping to clean up my welds.

Back