2020 POTD Thread Archive

I had a small piece of hardened H-13 tool about 3/4 inch long left over from the anvil project so decided to
try make something with it. I welded the piece to a chunk of mild steel and that went pretty well using
stick welding. My first thought was to make a slag hammer but I can see it might have other uses as well.
So a hammer it will be. The handle was part of the remains of an old axe handle so no investment other
than time. It was 30 below zero F this morning so I didn't have much else to do anyway. When done I blasted away on
a piece of mild steel like a wood pecker after some ants to see if it would crack or disintegrate. So far it is billy goat tuff.

Here's a photo:P1020661.JPG
Now I really don't know if it is worthy of a post but it will have some use down the road hopefully....

Interestingly, I did tap on the hardened H-13 anvil surface and it left a visible ding on it.

Wrapped up my vise stop project from viewing a YouTube video.
None are perfect though but all are usable as is. Much more difficult than I figured it would be. The dro readout helped but the 4th digit kept distracting me and led to several mistakes and broken taps. Don't take much to bust a 4-40!!

Also wrapped up the drilling of holes in the brackets I am making and milled a couple lift bar ends for rear 3 point lift on a narrow frame 60-70's Cub Cadet. Stock mat'l was too thick for clearance on the ends.

DSCN7706.JPGDSCN7708.JPG

This is going to be the business end of the top die of my press brake build. It is a piece of 5/8" thick plow blade. My band saw barely scratched it, so I used a carbide end mill to square the edges and make it the finished length. I milled the uneven edge flat and then nodded the head to put a couple of 45's on it. I'm not sure exactly what this metal is but what I do know is that it is wear resistant, a bit brittle, yet drills easyish, and never use it for any welding projects. It will fail spectacularly.
20200213_173924.jpg
20200213_181503.jpg
The bungee cord it to help with vibrations. Carbide hates that.

I made another tool for the hardy hole, not sure what it might be called. I can see it would work for stretching out pipe to make tapered pipes or stretch rings. Also I cleaned up an old forge tool with the name "Champion" stamped on it. It's been hanging behind the air compressor for a long time, completely ignored until today. If I look around a bit, I think there is another one around here somewhere...

P1020667.JPG
Also, I had an area on the anvil face that needed filling in. I used some 1/8 inch hard facing rod using the arc welder and was surprised how easy it
was to lay down.

Today I needed to make one hydraulic compression fitting, started with a 1/2 brass rod and angle by angle form it. Last operation to do was to drill the centre that also went well and soon enough i was done. having carbide cutters with known angles sure made this job faster rather than moving the compound for every cut.
IMG_20200211_165305.jpgIMG_20200211_165255.jpg

what's on the other end?

This is the sleeve on the hydraulic pipe that feeds a cylinder on a truck. This is a quick repair for a friend.
images590c0c4fecea486eaa7a7a60036af5ef.pngimages590c0c4fecea486eaa7a7a60036af5ef.png

Back