2020 POTD Thread Archive

rwm,
I\ve been using that exact boring bar in my qctp holder by stacking a piece of hss stock to get the tool at the right height.
Perfect design for this tool.
Well done! Thanks for the idea.

I'll get a pic of an easy to make tool for your small bars . Found a few yesterday I forgot about . :grin:

Today I built the chipping hammer in the photo labeled "B" and did some modifications to hammers "A" and "C".

Hammer "A" is an old hammer made from some hot rolled material and was belled out on both ends from use.
I arc welded on a 1/4 inch Torx driver and ground it down to close to a point. Time will tell I guess for "Alpha" hammer.

That brings us to "B", the bravo hammer. It's awaiting it's hardened Torx tip but will wait a while and see how the tip on "A" fares.
On the chipping end I arc welded on a piece of unknown hardenable tool steel to be used for slag removal when welding.
I heated up the chipping end to white hot and cooled it in the snow outside the door. It has a pretty hard tip now.
Maybe I should call it Bruno!:grin: ...... or errrrr umm:rolleyes: Brino!:encourage:

Then there is the "C" hammer. That's Charlie. It was made a while back and I think made of cold roll material. Anyhow, the
pointy end was belled out from the usual abuse so welded on a piece cut off the blower shaft of an 8hp Ariens snow blower.
That stuff was really hard. I managed to sever a chunk with a cutoff blade with a 4.5 inch angle grinder, then welded on to the
narrow end and grind it to a point. The remainder I'm saving to eventually shape into a punch.

Sure I could have bought a chipping hammer at Menards but they didn't appeal to me at all...
P1020669.JPG
Well, that's about it for hammers for now. I need to move on to some other project, maybe start with cleaning up the
shop from all the metal grindings and saw dust.

EDIT: The arc welded tip on hammer "A" failed so I gas welded it on. I gave it a bit of a workout and using a torch to
weld on the tip is significantly stronger as one can get penetration all the way to the center. I knew that too but
was just too lazy I guess.

Last edited:
Black and Decker batteries don't last. I have tons of Dewalt batteries. How about a conversion?

1581977878041.png

I took the guts out of a BD battery and cut the bottom off a broken Dewalt drill. Then they collided at high speed and stuck together like that. It works really well.

Robert

Today on my way back from skopje my car blow a power steering hose, it made a spectacular smoke cloud, almost caught fire and i had to drive it back without power steering when i got back i made me this a barbed fitting on my lathe and installed it, filed the system with fresh dexron 2 and its fixed. The funny thing is that my mechanic wanted couple hundred $ and said i need to wait a week for a new hose, pump and reservoir. I'm sure he'll find a sucker to take his money but won't be me.
IMG_20200216_154523_2.jpgIMG_20200216_154521.jpg

I like your thinking, a good basic repair!

Today on my way back from skopje my car blow a power steering hose, it made a spectacular smoke cloud, almost caught fire and i had to drive it back without power steering when i got back i made me this a barbed fitting on my lathe and installed it, filed the system with fresh dexron 2 and its fixed. The funny thing is that my mechanic wanted couple hundred $ and said i need to wait a week for a new hose, pump and reservoir. I'm sure he'll find a sucker to take his money but won't be me.
View attachment 313934View attachment 313933

A0499F2C-F6E3-4EDF-A354-EEEC4679E293.jpeg

More threading, still 2” - 24, and pushing the edge of the size envelope on the little 618. What with the bulky clamp setup on the faceplate and trying to keep tool extension to a reasonable amount I couldn’t swing the compound so had to thread using the cross-slide only. It worked ok though. I overshot the depth by just a hair so it’s a tad looser than my ideal, but still workable.
Thanks for looking!

-frank

15077150-11AA-4AB2-95F0-21251AA6C883.jpeg

Black and Decker batteries don't last. I have tons of Dewalt batteries. How about a conversion?

View attachment 313926

I took the guts out of a BD battery and cut the bottom off a broken Dewalt drill. Then they collided at high speed and stuck together like that. It works really well.

Robert
I watched a video a few weeks ago about the multi-adaptors available to use batteries from one brand on another brand.
Personally I'd like to see something like an ISO designation for battery packs for portable tools. That would really open up competition in the marketplace with hopefully companies with cutting edge technology for power storage making offer on a wide platform. Tool manufacturers could then concentrate 100% on just making the best skin they can.
It is called capitalism and in its truest form negates monopolies.

Back