2020 POTD Thread Archive

A great idea, the big brands will resist it as much as they can. I would suspect they would even embed a chip or two in components so that they don't play well with other brands. It will of course work, because the ISO standard will make sure it does, but it will work within limits.

Many years ago when video cameras were quite new, there was a multitude of batteries even within a brand one battery would not fit another camera. Some enterprising person came out with a set of adaptor plates, I bought a set one time while in Singapore, gave me much more versatility.

The same thing should happen with cordless tools. A mate and I often work together but we have different brands of tools, which is great in one way, we never get our tools mixed up, but it's an absolute pain, in that we can't share batteries, and or chargers. Both our tool sets are fairly new so we don't have any dead bits yet with which to make our own conversions, but come the day, look out Makita and Milwaukee.

Today on my way back from skopje my car blow a power steering hose, it made a spectacular smoke cloud, almost caught fire and i had to drive it back without power steering when i got back i made me this a barbed fitting on my lathe and installed it, filed the system with fresh dexron 2 and its fixed. The funny thing is that my mechanic wanted couple hundred $ and said i need to wait a week for a new hose, pump and reservoir. I'm sure he'll find a sucker to take his money but won't be me.
View attachment 313934View attachment 313933

An excellent repair, I expect you are keeping your local mechanic poor with your skills, you're probably a better mechanic. I like the way that as soon as you blow a hose you have to replace the pump. They are the same here with A/C units, blow a hose and you have to replace the compressor and whatever else they can screw you for. I know one guy has about a ton of A/C compressors, he admits nothing wrong with most of them. I wanted the 12V clutch from one, asked him how much, he just gave a complete compressor with clutch.

Last edited:
A great idea, the big brands will resist it as much as they can. I would suspect they would even embed a chip or two in components so that they don't play well with other brands. It will of course work, because the ISO standard will make sure it does, but it will work within limits.

Many years ago when video cameras were quite new, there was a multitude of batteries even within a brand one battery would not fit another camera. Some enterprising person came out with a set of adaptor plates, I bought a set one time while in Singapore, gave me much more versatility.

The same thing should happen with cordless tools. A mate and I often work together but we have different brands of tools, which is great in one way, we never get our tools mixed up, but it's an absolute pain, in that we can't share batteries, and or chargers. Both our tool sets are fairly new so we don't have any dead bits yet with which to make our own conversions, but come the day, look out Makita and Milwaukee.
This is the video I watched but as said I really think we need an ISO description.
Free the cordless world!

An excellent repair, I expect you are keeping your local mechanic poor with your skills, you'r [probably a better mechanic. I like the way that as soon as you blow a hose you have to replace the pump. They are the same here with A/C units, blow a hose and you have to replace the compressor and whatever else they can screw you for. I know one guy has about a ton of A/C compressors, he admits nothing wrong with most of them. I wanted the 12V clutch from one, asked him how much, he just gave a complete compressor with clutch.

The smart mechanics stopped competing with me and when they get in trouble they call me, the not so smart ones simply ignore me. When i'm too busy i take my cars but almost always regret it. They somehow manage to mess up even simple things like oil changes, striped drain plugs, cross threaded oil filters, cracked windscreens things i could not think off.

I love the battery adapter idea. I recently bought the adapter that Dewalt makes so you can use 20v Li batteries with some of the old 18v tools. For some reason this does not work for the 18v bandsaw? Does anyone know why? Most of the other 18v tools are fine.
Robert

Today on my way back from skopje my car blow a power steering hose, it made a spectacular smoke cloud, almost caught fire and i had to drive it back without power steering when i got back i made me this a barbed fitting on my lathe and installed it, filed the system with fresh dexron 2 and its fixed. The funny thing is that my mechanic wanted couple hundred $ and said i need to wait a week for a new hose, pump and reservoir. I'm sure he'll find a sucker to take his money but won't be me.
View attachment 313934View attachment 313933

Not to be a downer, but there's a huge difference between a commercial shop making a repair they need to guarantee for some period of time, and a DIY repair. I admire your skills and ingenuity, but no commercial shop is going to take the chance that a repair of this nature is going to last. In most cases it's the hose that failed not the fitting. Just plugging a new fitting into the same deteriorated, worn hose isn't something a shop would guarantee would last for any period of time.

I was in the repair business for many years, and can tell you from experience there are customers that expect that once they pay for a repair, any repair, they expect that repair and anything associated with it to last forever. If there are future problems, even those well beyond the warranty period some customers expect the problem to be resolved at no additional cost.

I can relate to you a somewhat similar scenario: Many years ago a "customer" stopped into my shop with a 1965 Pontiac that was running poorly. I removed the air cleaner and could hardly see the carburetor for all the crud and gunk. The most obvious problem was that the choke was stuck almost completely closed.

I recommended the carb be removed and rebuilt. The customer being too cheap wanted me to just clean the choke plate and linkage. At his request I sprayed down the carb with cleaner and eventually got enough crud off to allow the choke to open. I didn't charge any labor, just the $3.95 for the spray can of cleaner.

That was the last I saw the person for nearly a year. At about the 1 year mark he rolled into the shop again. This time he was irritated and confrontational. He handed me a bill for $235.00 claiming that I owed him that much due to the faulty "rebuild" I'd done on the carburetor. He claimed that before I "rebuilt" the carb he had been getting 12 mph, but since the "rebuild" the mileage had dropped to 8 mpg. The bill was for the difference in the cost of gas since the carb had been "rebuilt".

When I asked to see the receipt he showed me the one for the can of cleaner. I refused to pay the amount he was asking and told him to leave. His next statement was that he would return with his lawyer to collect the money. Needless to say he never returned, and I never paid him $235.00. The point is that there are some people who expect that once a car is brought to a shop that shop is responsible for any current or future problems regardless of whether or not the shop did any work on the car.

I'm not putting you or anyone else in that group. What I am saying is that no shop is willing to make DIY repairs when they know somewhere along the line someone is going to try to make them responsible for that repair in perpetuity.

Most hydraulic shops near me all have signs posted stating no fittings will be installed on used hoses.

st hydraulic shops near me all have signs posted stating no fittings will be installed on used hoses.

That would be like taking a shower and not changing underwear ! :grin: Who would re-use hoses ? :dunno:

Not to be a downer, but there's a huge difference between a commercial shop making a repair they need to guarantee for some period of time, and a DIY repair. I admire your skills and ingenuity, but no commercial shop is going to take the chance that a repair of this nature is going to last. In most cases it's the hose that failed not the fitting. Just plugging a new fitting into the same deteriorated, worn hose isn't something a shop would guarantee would last for any period of time.

Projectnut, i fully understand you and those kind of people are everywhere. But here we have a different problem, here even the main dealerships have no properly train staff, they hire people of the street that put a rag in their back pocket and call them self mechanics, no education, no training and after a few years they get self confidence and become reckless and overworked to the point that they start to make big mistakes every day and all of them have a big sign saying we don't take no responsibility about any damaged we do and no warranties, i've had a windscreen fall off when emergency braking, 2 months after it was installed and the shop used clear bathroom silicone to glue it in. Went there they denied they have ever worked on my car even after i showed them my receipt. So my mechanic did not even take in account no warranties, i know is hard to understand this but i leave in a very small country with questionable justice system. About the hydraulic shops, here they don't care, i actually went to a friend's shop and pressed it myself.

Back