2020 POTD Thread Archive

Photos required Bob.........

I knew you or someone would say that, and they do exist but now I have to find them. In luck.

!st pic, The new trike rear end as it came out of the box from USA.

2nd pic, bike minus rear end getting ready for new rear end.

3rd pic, trike on the road with me on it.

4th pic, Me on trike out on a club ride, on what looks like a nice warm sunny day.
5th pic, The little trailer I tow behind with a few clothes and many bottles of red wine, A wheel bearing inspection.

6th pic, Trike in a crate returning from our 3 month tour of Southern Africa, 10 countries in all, what a blast. Actually the trike survived very well, in spite of dire predictions of it's imminent failure. Finally gave up 4 days before end of tour, A small plastic shark tooth style air fitting for the rear suspension, 1/8th" broke and all I could get was metric. It had to do the last 4 days on the rescue trailer I spent time in the back up bus,which I had to drive because the driver had to ride the other bike that was on the trailer, not all bad.

Actually the roads in Sth Africa are very good, with Namibia and Botswana mostly not too bad. However the remaining 7 countries the roads are absolutely atrocious, massive potholes, deep sand, rocks and deep ruts some of the better ones were just heavily corrugated sand and gravel, but we made it.
Bob.

Attachments

• DSCN0750.JPG
    DSCN0750.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
  • DSCN0751.JPG
    DSCN0751.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 31
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 31
  • P1320772.JPG
    P1320772.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 32
  • DSCN0009.JPG
    DSCN0009.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
  • bike20.JPG
    bike20.JPG
    436.9 KB · Views: 34
Super simple project. I bent the rod for moving the ram on my Bridgeport when initially moving it. Turned down some SS303 to size, cut threads on the ends, and now it looks much nicer. Sure, I could have used a piece of all-thread. But what fun is that?

It was partly for practice and working with the ELS. It was great to tap a couple of buttons to change feed speeds and switch to threading. Got some practice with the thread mic as well.

Today i had some time to spare so i decided to finish one shaft i had welded up, it was a pretty simple task, where i had to cut off the weld and straighten it by taking material off, i left it longer not knowing what i'll be using it for. I have few projects in the works but i need to finish my car projects first.IMG_20200229_155133.jpgIMG_20200229_160039.jpgIMG_20200229_161938.jpgIMG_20200229_162739_1.jpg

I don't know what to call the 2 blocks that bolt onto a mill spindle that drive tool holders. I have 1 of them still attached.

20180624 02.jpg

I decided to make another out of round stock in the lathe.

20200229 02.jpg

It was actually liberating in a sense - because the 4 jaw chuck would hold the sides square to each new face.

20200302 02.jpg

I started with the bolt hole & centered my sides on it. The final bolt head recess depth was saved the for last.

20200302 01.jpg

Trimmed a bolt for it & good to go!

I don't know what to call the 2 blocks that bolt onto a mill spindle that drive tool holders. I have 1 of them still attached.

View attachment 315517

I decided to make another out of round stock in the lathe.

View attachment 315518

It was actually liberating in a sense - because the 4 jaw chuck would hold the sides square to each new face.

View attachment 315519

I started with the bolt hole & centered my sides on it. The final bolt head recess depth was saved the for last.

View attachment 315520

Trimmed a bolt for it & good to go!
Very nice!, I have been looking for an excuse to make something square with my lathe.

Nice littel shop project. But as you know, the old saying, "A lathe is for making square things round & a mill is for making round things square!" apart from being just an old saying, because clever people have been making square things rond in a mill as well as making round things square in a lathe for long time, It's another case "As needs must".

I remember many years back as an apprentice, one of the first things we had to do was to make a small 2.5 inch toolmakers "G" clamp using only a lathe, hack saw and file, from a one inch slice off a 4" round bar. plus a drill bit and a tap.

Interesting looking tool post, another variation on the QCTP, do you have any good shots of it, what brand or is it home made?

Downunder Bob wrote: "Interesting looking tool post, another variation on the QCTP, do you have any good shots of it, what brand or is it home made?"

It's a Shars BX made to fit my Grizzly G0773 combo. Had to mod the center post to mount it. Then had to mod the tool holders to get down to the centerline & now I've made a 3/4" insert holder to fit. Still have to mind the weaker points (like the lathe itself), but sturdier!

20200125 02.jpg

Ah, the mods the machine has endured to learn how to walk & to talk. LOL

Sorry Brockwood, the question was intended for GoceKU, My fault I failed to make it clear who I was talking to.

Your toolpost is basically the same as an aloris, and others, but his appears different.

Back