2020 POTD Thread Archive

No worries Bob. His IS a real lathe with a stout QCTP! Seen em before, but don't know the specs. I forgot this IS a General Thread.

Interesting looking tool post, another variation on the QCTP, do you have any good shots of it, what brand or is it home made?

Only marking it has are " PPT 2000 00/2" , couple of my friends have the same tool holders, i'm not sure is it russian or serbian made, but it works. Making square items on a lathe takes a lot of time to set up but it is a fun challenge.
IMG_20200225_154112_1.jpg

made some QCTP holders :)
IMG_9305.JPG

see

made some QCTP holders :)
View attachment 315639

see
Some? The words, heard, flock, or school come to mind.

My first piece ever, an aluminum practice version of a Unimat dead center. Measurements were off but it was a practice piece, get my measurements figured out then do it in steel.

Attachments

• 20200304_202531.jpg
    20200304_202531.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 52
Downunder Bob wrote: "Interesting looking tool post, another variation on the QCTP, do you have any good shots of it, what brand or is it home made?"

It's a Shars BX made to fit my Grizzly G0773 combo. Had to mod the center post to mount it. Then had to mod the tool holders to get down to the centerline & now I've made a 3/4" insert holder to fit. Still have to mind the weaker points (like the lathe itself), but sturdier!

View attachment 315566

Ah, the mods the machine has endured to learn how to walk & to talk. LOL
Do you have a forum thread write up on those changes?

joe

silverhawk wrote, "Do you have a forum thread write up on those changes?" in regard to what I thought Downunder Bob was asking. Joe, https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/g0773-lathe-mill-combo.73973/ is my thread on all of my Grizzly mods. It's a learn as I go - complete with a few oops as well.

But mattthemuppet2, in my opinion, has a better topic for this thread (or perhaps his own) as Chinese parts ain't comin for a while in normal conditions. This thread is also on the Dhal22 Unimat Dead Center topic. Reminds me that I need a smaller tipped MT3 live center than I'm trying to get by with.

So, Joe I PM'd ya bout your situ.

Back