2020 POTD Thread Archive

Are you planning on running a countersink with same program to take down the edges?

Yes, that will happen after the plate is bolted down to the tooling plate and faced. Right now that fixture plate is bolted down to another fixture plate that we use for making fixture plates, give us 1/2'' clearance for through drilling holes. We built kind of a quick change pallet system.

Geesh!!
Took me over an hour to drill and tap 8 10/24 holes with a drill/tap and then I broke the tap on the last hole!!
I wasn't quick enough on the draw to hit the stop switch and brake at the same time.
Let's see....a $15 tap and 8 holes....that's what, about $2 per hole!! :bang head:

I got a laugh when I saw the supper high tech music station next to the old school drawing table.
Nice work though.

IMG_1401.JPG

That looks great. Are you going to press the sockets in to the handle?
As a matter of fact, they are going to be pressed in. All 3 of the round parts are different diameters and the 3 holes are bored .001 under size for their assigned part. I will press them in only half way thru and fill in the back with a nice hot weld then clean up the welds with an endmill.
Did you actually notice that the holes were bored and not drilled?

As a matter of fact, they are going to be pressed in. All 3 of the round parts are different diameters and the 3 holes are bored .001 under size for their assigned part. I will press them in only half way thru and fill in the back with a nice hot weld then clean up the welds with an endmill.

Yes, I thought the holes looked bored and not drilled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I thought the holes looked bored and not drilled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a laugh when I saw the supper high tech music station next to the old school drawing table.
Nice work though.

I still use the drawing board on almost every project I make. On complicated projects, I work out the details on the computer using Adobe Illustrator. Then, I take it to the board and draw an isometric to make sure I understand I haven't left something out. It's like building it without cutting up expensive materials, an important step nowadays as my brainpower deteriorates.

I still design and do hand-drawn layouts for clients for approval of concept. I'm more creative with a pencil than with a mouse.

I'm more creative with a pencil than with a mouse

I get that. I started on vellum but for many years build my models in 3D using autocad. I find it even easier to see what fits and doesn't. However, when I am not sure how to build something. I start on paper as I also find It is easier to be creative on paper but as soon as I have the concept down, I move to CAD.

Back