2020 POTD Thread Archive

Boswell, i have yet to learn CAD. I gave it a shot a few years ago but found it to be clunky and completely alien from my thinking process and any drawing software I was already proficient with. I spent most of my career being an illustrator, so it is natural for me to sit at a board and draw.

Vellum? I still have a couple of rolls. Being a computer geek, y'all may think I am funny, too. I don't own a copy of autocad or have fusion 360. When it comes to my 3d stuff, I use old command line style things like POV-ray (art) or openscad (printer). My part drawings and electrical schematics are all on paper, though.

joe

Did you use plop to work out the mirror supports?

Getting ready to scrap another personal tool for the company . .156 carbide ball end mill removing a broken tap in a die . :( Good thing is , I'm only here for 11 hours tonight thanks to DST . :encourage: And the weather is looking good for tomorrow .

Did you use plop to work out the mirror supports?

Yes I have done so before on previous builds. I compared the factory supports to the Plop and there is a major difference between the radial distance on the inner 3 points, while the outer 6 are almost in the same location. Plop has the inner closer to the center by about 15 mm.

I finished my vise handle last night. The last thing I did before quitting was to paint it. All dry this morning so I put the handle on, (umm, the handle?).
It works so slik!
That is a .45cal gas check to keep the threads safe.
20200307_191459.jpg
Right side still a little warm.
20200307_194339.jpg
20200307_194418.jpg
20200308_001533.jpg
FIN!
20200308_121916.jpg

I finished my vise handle last night. The last thing I did before quitting was to paint it. All dry this morning so I put the handle on, (umm, the handle?).
It works so slik!
That is a .45cal gas check to keep the threads safe.
View attachment 316127
Right side still a little warm.
View attachment 316128
View attachment 316129
View attachment 316130
FIN!
View attachment 316131

Nice work.
I might copy yours.
Thinking about 1/2” thick aluminum handle with sockets pressed into undersized holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks David, I think that there would need to mechanically lock the sockets on if you went with aluminum. Just a pressed fit wouldn't be enough, especially for the end socket.

Back