2020 POTD Thread Archive

Why not just mill the hex in?

Edit I see everyone is making these I guess I’ll make one soon too. I’m just confused why everybody is using socket and not just milling the hexes in?
I used sockets to so that the handle wouldn't be wobbly on the hex shaft and wear resistance.

Edit I see everyone is making these I guess I’ll make one soon too. I’m just confused why everybody is using socket and not just milling the hexes in?

Much easier, looks nicer, wear resistance...

Can use 2 sections of same socket to make it look uniform.

Last edited:

Here's a build I did to make them as you suggested. I used 1/2" thick aluminum and put the hexes in via CNC. That was lots quicker than using a rotary table and doing it manually.

The plus side for the socket method is speed. So much quicker to machine a round hole than what I did with the CNC.

Bruce

Added a light to my lathe today. This was a quickie, the whole process took about 10 minutes.

I chose this particular one because of the mounting style and the gooseneck length, also I wanted the biggest magnifying lens that was available. I didn't want one that was too long or too short. And the cord enters above the attaching screw so it will flush mount. Typical Chinese cheap construction, but the gooseneck seems to be pretty robust.
1583972335509.png

Stuff is never quite right as is comes out of the box. So like any good machinist make some modifications, that's why we have machines....Right? :grin:

1583972384067.png

Then attach the modified mount to the carriage. It needs to move with the carriage, but I didn't want it moving with the cross slide. And if I do decide that it needs to move with the cross slide, that's an easy modification.
1583972410973.png

And installed. Nice heavy machined aluminum housing. 2.25 magnification seems to be about right for my old eyes, the light is OK but could be a bit brighter, but better than what I had. Just the overhead 4ft LED shop light put shadows in places I wanted to see, especially when I leaned over the work for a closer inspection. We'll see how this works out. It also doubles as a chip shield.

1583972440228.png

The side view. Cord is zip tied back to the gooseneck to try to avoid snagging on stringy chips.

1583972478787.png

And up out of the way.
1583972506980.png

This switch module is most likely the first failure point. It dims and has 3 different color temperatures. Brightest setting and bright white seems to be the best, I would be happy with just an ON/OFF switch. The lamp is powered by a USB cable and a 5V USB output wall wart.

1583972547835.png

More tweaking on the music workstation. I've always wanted front panel power outlets on my workstations.
Handy for chargers, occasionally used equipment, and the vacuum cleaner.
All the outlets on the power conditioners are on the back, so to plug something in I had pull the rig away from the wall to access the back.

I had a nice surge protected power strip with horizontal plugs so wall warts will fit.
I fabricated adapters so I can mount it on the rack rails.

IMG_1410.JPG

They are simple and quick. Just 1.5" and 1" aluminum 1/8" angle screwed together.
Someday, I will finish the press bender I started years ago.

IMG_1409.JPG

IMG_1408.JPG

I installed a portable extractor setup based on a standard 100mm diameter inline bathroom extractor fan, and some 3D printed parts I designed. It hangs up behind my mill when I'm not using it, but when I am it gets plugged into the 3d printed port screwed on to the wall of the shed (which leads outside to a hooded outlet on the exterior), and then the inlet is held with a mag base indicator holder. I can use it on the Mill and the Lathe, and probably when I'm soldering on the work bench too.

IMG_0821.jpegIMG_0822.jpegIMG_0823.jpegIMG_0824.jpegIMG_0826.jpegIMG_0818.jpegIMG_0820.jpegIMG_0819.jpeg

Well because of the coronavirus i got 2 weeks off work so i have some time mid day mid week. So i got to work, first on the list was to modify my welder, from the factory it had very small plastic wheels, one broke and the axle bent. Couple of weeks back i bought couple of big steel rim wheels and today i mounted them, i had to extend the front leg, i just use an off cut of some tubing. Now it rolls effortlessly. After this i got busy cleaning this part of the garage. Just as a was finishing i got a call from the machine shop in skopje they have a spot in their schedule so i loaded the engine block and heads and went there. I arrived just as they are finishing for the day so i left the block and heads for them to resurface them and will wait for their call.
IMG_20200312_125133.jpgIMG_20200312_152547.jpg

Today i spent most of my day searching for car parts but i also found some time to do some machining, i need to make me an heavy duty engine stand so i can build the engine for my 607, i started with cleaning up a thick piece of pipe on my lathe, then i found a piece the will be a close fit and bored and cut it to fit snugly, this will be the rotisserie part of my engine stand.
IMG_20200312_170102.jpgIMG_20200312_173925.jpgIMG_20200312_175244_1.jpg

Worked on a batch of clutch throw out levers for narrow frame Cubs today.
Used thicker mat'l that the original parts. Have yet to dress the legs on 4 of them and drill the holes for the cross pins. Tomorrow is another day!

DSCN7835.JPG

Back