2020 POTD Thread Archive

Here's where they fit on a narrow frame Cub cadet.
It's the part behind the black lever with the pin through it, you can just see the top of it.
NIce to have all the wear and slop gone and a nice crisp clutch operation once again.

Attachments

• DSCN7837.JPG
    DSCN7837.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 46
Truck was leaking gear oil so I pulled the transaxle, split the diff from engine, changed pilot bushing(needed to make a driver) put the rebuilt diff and transmission on and ready to put back in the truck tomorrow

Attachments

• IMG_20200315_201026.jpg
    IMG_20200315_201026.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20200315_201010.jpg
    IMG_20200315_201010.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 49
Truck was leaking gear oil so I pulled the transaxle, split the diff from engine, changed pilot bushing(needed to make a driver) put the rebuilt diff and transmission on and ready to put back in the truck tomorrow

Let's see the truck.
That's cool, keeping an old Corvair on the road.

This is about 8 years ago before the rust started to pop out, when i get it back together I will put an as now picture

Attachments

• IMG_4879.JPG
    IMG_4879.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 35
Today i started my day with a bit of fabrication, i dig in my scrap conner and found some thick wall tubing and started cutting and welding, i joined the feet first then turn them around and welded them from undernight. For the upright i used a round piece of tubing and braced it with two rebars from the back side, i built in a slight angle in the upright to help with the weight transfer at the top i welded on the sleeve i machined couple of days ago. To test it i stick in it a long piece of an car axle and stood up on in with all my 115 kg and it didn't even moved. I need to do all my dirty work before i start cleaning and assembling the engine block. At this point i stopped cleaned up and went in search of car parts witch its starting to be even more difficult because of the coronavirus some of the businesses are not working. This will be an engine assembly stand for the V6 hdi out of my 607.
IMG_20200314_124451_1.jpgIMG_20200314_124459.jpgIMG_20200314_124427.jpg

Radials -

Godawful looking damage, nice looking repair! You've got a very lucky neighbor.

Forgive the burr in the following pictures - I need a new endmill.

I finally got the stainless steel hex stock to start building my fuel line. It's a 7/8" hex bar. I cut off a chunk about 1.25" long and chucked it into the lathe, faced and chamfered the cut, flipped it, drilled and chamfered the front end.

20200316_205622.jpg

Then I removed it from the lathe and got it in the tool makers vise perfectly vertical, then set the whole tool makers vise into the big angle vise on my mini mill. I faced it down to a surface that was large enough to handle it (while keeping the other face also big enough), and then drilled an intersecting hole.

20200317_161554.jpg

20200317_164437.jpg

Once that was done, I removed the tool makers vise and locked that one onto the table. This allowed me to drill a third hole that was parallel to the first one done on the lathe, again intersecting in the middle.

20200317_172551.jpg

I did a test fit.

20200317_183704.jpg

20200317_183743.jpg

Now I need to degrease/clean, bend the tubes into position (and get the right lengths), then break out the jewelry solder and lock it all together.

A rare video of my CNC lathe in action. I could run this part with a squirt of WD-40 rather than flood coolant. Took this video just before I changed the setup over to another job. 1 1/2-18 thread, 6061 aluminum tube.

Turn, Face, Clearance Groove, Inside Chamfer, and OD Thread. All in 53 seconds. And my son complains it takes too much time. :confused 3:

Last edited:
did my very first weld at the weekend EVER! Was super exciting
smile.png
Unfortunately, now I want a welder
frown.png

Anyway, making some new vise jaws for my HF 4x6 bandsaw. The current ones have pi$$ed me off since I got it and I have a 2x2 stick of QCTP holders I can't cut as the jaws don't extend close enough to the blade to hold the work.

So cut up a nice piece of 3/8" thick angle iron I found at the side of the road (I think), then milled some slots, drilled some holes etc etc. Finally I used my friend's MIG welder and flux core wire (he doesn't have gas for MIG) to weld some braces to the back of the angle iron for some stiffening. Huge amounts of fun. I might need to help him make a welding table as the plastic picnic table he uses started melting towards the end of the job.

I picked one of the nicer welds for a picture
smile.png

IMG_9331.JPG

here's what they look like compared to the original moving jaw
IMG_9332.JPG

haven't finished them yet (having some issues with tram on the mill) but had to put them back on the bandsaw to cut some material for a cargo rack tongue extension. Here you can also see a "not quite QR yet" jack screw to prevent the moving jaw from wracking when holding short stuff. I love my bandsaw - made a coffee AND had a crap while it cut this piece.
IMG_9334.JPG

also split the nut to take a whole load of slop out of the moving jaw
IMG_9329.JPG

and made a T-nut for the fixed jaw as the original set up was a nut and bolt, with the nut underneath the saw. Figured I might as well fix that annoyance while I was at it
IMG_9330.JPG

now I have to record some lectures so I can get back to my rack project..

Back