2020 POTD Thread Archive

I cut the triangles from a piece of Alcoa .190 plate. Shaped them against a 60 grit sanding disk (they do get hot). Drilled and tapped the three outer holes for 8X32 Nylon screws and clearance holes for the brass 8X32 countersunk screws that are not tight to allow the triangles to rock and self level against the back of the mirror. Now I have to cut and weld in the edge support brackets after setting the mirror in place for measurements.
Pierre
93081890-DB6B-4E1E-97ED-A491E034902E.jpeg91B0B820-1431-44FC-B146-BEF991EA3B43.jpeg

Last edited:
View of underside on mirror, showing the triangles supporting the mirror, and the 12” mirror in approximately the correct position. Now to measure some more!
Pierre

EE50D56A-8AC3-4261-81C5-28DE20E43461.jpegE167762A-DF13-4E7D-9D00-5B2E74AF4021.jpeg

did my very first weld at the weekend EVER! Was super exciting
smile.png
Unfortunately, now I want a welder
frown.png

Anyway, making some new vise jaws for my HF 4x6 bandsaw. The current ones have pi$$ed me off since I got it and I have a 2x2 stick of QCTP holders I can't cut as the jaws don't extend close enough to the blade to hold the work.

So cut up a nice piece of 3/8" thick angle iron I found at the side of the road (I think), then milled some slots, drilled some holes etc etc. Finally I used my friend's MIG welder and flux core wire (he doesn't have gas for MIG) to weld some braces to the back of the angle iron for some stiffening. Huge amounts of fun. I might need to help him make a welding table as the plastic picnic table he uses started melting towards the end of the job.

I picked one of the nicer welds for a picture
smile.png

View attachment 317512

here's what they look like compared to the original moving jaw
View attachment 317513

haven't finished them yet (having some issues with tram on the mill) but had to put them back on the bandsaw to cut some material for a cargo rack tongue extension. Here you can also see a "not quite QR yet" jack screw to prevent the moving jaw from wracking when holding short stuff. I love my bandsaw - made a coffee AND had a crap while it cut this piece.
View attachment 317514

also split the nut to take a whole load of slop out of the moving jaw
View attachment 317515

and made a T-nut for the fixed jaw as the original set up was a nut and bolt, with the nut underneath the saw. Figured I might as well fix that annoyance while I was at it
View attachment 317516

now I have to record some lectures so I can get back to my rack project..
For a first weld, that doesn't look bad at all! Nice!

joe

thanks! some of the others didn't look as nice, but nothing that a grinder and some paint can't fix :)

Better video of the extractor at work, whilst whittling always on my lathe toolpost. Now that I’ve re-positioned it it works very well. The PETG its printed from shrugs off hot chips... I thought that the hotter ones might have embedded themselves in it but no - and they seem not to be bothering the flexible conduit either.

Of course, now that I’m about 3/4s of the way through milling the toolpost, the speed control on my mill has decided to give up the ghost. I think it’s just a bad potentiometer (I hope it’s just the pot) but I can’t get a replacement till next week. Boo.

That's a serious cut. I always worry when my tools make that much smoke. Maybe I shouldn't?
Robert

I wouldn't worry, it's doing its job. Be neat to have a fume extractor like that though!

As for me, got another job finished today. We bought a really nice folding cargo rack off CL for when we go camping or end up moving, so the dog has more space in the back of the car (Subaru wagon). Only problem is that the hitch is recessed and the tongue isn't long enough to safely go in the hitch and have the trunk lid open over the cargo bag. So I made an extension to the tongue :)

starting random scrap. New bandsaw vise jaws came in handy for this one.
fetch

IMG_9335.JPG

pieces milled/ filed to shape
IMG_9336.JPG
fetch

pressed and screwed together. Hitch pin hole is tapped 1/2-13 so I can use the same hitch pin as I have on my Yakima bike rack.
IMG_9338.JPG
fetch

installed on the rack. Extension is held in place with a couple of washers and screws that go in the original 5/8" hitch pin hole.
IMG_9339.JPG
fetch

works a treat. Tongue now goes to within 1/2" of the end of the hitch tube, there's plenty of steel left in the hitch and the little 4-40 screw means that the hole lines up right everytime (need to do that for my bike rack).
IMG_9340.JPG
fetch

very pleased with myself and reinforces my habit of never walking past an interesting piece of scrap at the scrapyard..

That's a serious cut. I always worry when my tools make that much smoke. Maybe I shouldn't?
Robert

There’s smoke due to the cutting oil... is it a big cut? 2mm doc by 20mm, 40mm dia 5 flute carbide cutter, 750ish rpm and hand cranked as fast as I feel isn’t pushing it. (78 thou, .75 inch, 1.5inch respectively).

Back