2020 POTD Thread Archive

At work I needed a way to dress these diamond wheels. Need to do it very evenly and change overall profile as little as possible. Pretty much needs to be help dead on center. Came up with this, attach to drill and stone it. Work awesome and saves me about $500 sending them out.

Attachments

• 2020-01-31_07-39-14_000.jpeg
    2020-01-31_07-39-14_000.jpeg
    946.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 2020-01-31_07-42-13_000.jpeg
    2020-01-31_07-42-13_000.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • 2020-01-31_07-43-03_000.jpeg
    2020-01-31_07-43-03_000.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 55
A couple things done yesterday and today. I had bought a cheap EBAY roller guide for the plasma cutter but had a makeshift sleeve to fit it to the torch. This is a much better one and easy to remove for using the diy circle cutter guide. The torch simply drops into a ball bearing so you don't have to twist you hand as you cut around the circle. Made 8, 13 and 18" rods to accommodate most circles.

While I had plastic rod chucked in the lathe I also made a holder for a endo scope that fits in the holder for the USB microscope.

Thanks
Aaron

Attachments

• DSCF4282.JPG
    DSCF4282.JPG
    236.8 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF4283.JPG
    DSCF4283.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
  • DSCF4278.JPG
    DSCF4278.JPG
    342.2 KB · Views: 44
A couple things done yesterday and today. I had bought a cheap EBAY roller guide for the plasma cutter but had a makeshift sleeve to fit it to the torch. This is a much better one and easy to remove for using the diy circle cutter guide. The torch simply drops into a ball bearing so you don't have to twist you hand as you cut around the circle. Made 8, 13 and 18" rods to accommodate most circles.

While I had plastic rod chucked in the lathe I also made a holder for a endo scope that fits in the holder for the USB microscope.

Thanks
Aaron
Look up opennrgdotcom on youtube. He makes a rip gate/fence, circle cutter for plasma cutter. Really cool stuff. I bought it and love it. I guess if you just wanted some ideas to make your own..there is that too.
he has 2 videos...this is
1 of 2

At work I needed a way to dress these diamond wheels. Need to do it very evenly and change overall profile as little as possible. Pretty much needs to be help dead on center. Came up with this, attach to drill and stone it. Work awesome and saves me about $500 sending them out.

More details please. Sorry if I seem dense, but I'd like to understand what you're doing.
You write "these diamond wheels", but I don't see any diamond wheels.
Apparently you made an arbor, but I don't know what the part (cylindrical w/ V-groove) in the third photo is, or how it's used. What is it? How is it used? What are you dressing the diamond wheels with?
Can you show some pictures of the wheel dressing process?

Sorry @extropic , I didn't suspect there would be interest in the details. That small wheel that I am dressing is a brass wheel that has a very fine diamond grit that is through out it. It actually leaves a gloss like surface on very hard plastics. i.e. polycarbonate and a material like poly, but is harder and less sensitives to chemicals. The brass/diamond wheel fits perfectly on the step on the arbor I made, it fits very solid,no play and dead on center. You wouldn't want any run out as the issue is, the plastics I run on it clogs up the wheel, at about 1200 runs, it needs dressing. Normally I send them to the manufacturer and it's not free, and the wheels are about $450 a pop, so I only have about 12. When shipping them back and forth
(they are not fast, and NOW, it's a problem as they are an Italian company. MEI if interested.) so many are tied up in shipping. I mount them in a drill chuck horizontally and running at full speed, run them for about 35-45 seconds (sometimes more) until they are evenly clean. (a lot of water and moderate pressure with a low abrasive stone.) I'll make a video at some point....but pretty boring, maybe I put and "after" picture of the wheel.

I made some spinning tops for my nephews at Christmas time and decided to build another for myself today. I made the outer ring from brass and the center from 6061 aluminum. Bearing is 4mm press fit. Maiden spin was just over 12 minutes.
I found out it's pretty hard to get a good photo of shiny things.

ZhfRl9Q.jpg

DcN5xS9.jpg

9YTvvIL.jpg

Sorry @extropic , I didn't suspect there would be interest in the details. That small wheel that I am dressing is a brass wheel that has a very fine diamond grit that is through out it. It actually leaves a gloss like surface on very hard plastics. i.e. polycarbonate and a material like poly, but is harder and less sensitives to chemicals. The brass/diamond wheel fits perfectly on the step on the arbor I made, it fits very solid,no play and dead on center. You wouldn't want any run out as the issue is, the plastics I run on it clogs up the wheel, at about 1200 runs, it needs dressing. Normally I send them to the manufacturer and it's not free, and the wheels are about $450 a pop, so I only have about 12. When shipping them back and forth
(they are not fast, and NOW, it's a problem as they are an Italian company. MEI if interested.) so many are tied up in shipping. I mount them in a drill chuck horizontally and running at full speed, run them for about 35-45 seconds (sometimes more) until they are evenly clean. (a lot of water and moderate pressure with a low abrasive stone.) I'll make a video at some point....but pretty boring, maybe I put and "after" picture of the wheel.

Thank you.
Would you say the process is more "cleaning" the wheel rather than removing brass/diamond matrix to true it?
It sound like you have a great deal of experience doing this, but my $0.02; I would try using a paste of abrasive cleanser powder (Comet, Ajax, etc) w/ water rather than a stone. Or possibly, a paste of cleanser/water on the stone. Just a thought.
Thanks for posting.

Today i had small project to do on my lathe so i took couple of pictures to share it. The project was to enlarge the centre hole of couple of 16" car rims. The first task was to modify the hub i'm using to hold the rims, i cut the centre of the hub and made a relief for the cutter then mounted the rim and made couple of cuts to bring it to size. Quick project and as big in diameter as my lathe can handle, not bad for a small machine as my.
View attachment 314556View attachment 314557View attachment 314558View attachment 314559View attachment 314560View attachment 314561

Please tell me that is not a gash cut in the lathe bed with an angle grinder.

I made some spinning tops for my nephews at Christmas time and decided to build another for myself today. I made the outer ring from brass and the center from 6061 aluminum. Bearing is 4mm press fit. Maiden spin was just over 12 minutes.
I found out it's pretty hard to get a good photo of shiny things.
That is really nice! I like the knurling too.
Robert

Back