2021 POTD Thread Archive

The neighbour is back from the arctic and gave the young lad and I a hand this aft. The frame is up, still some pins to go in but the basic shape is there.
IMG_4524.jpeg

The tractor doesn't have the reach to get the beams up, so made this extension, works great. Used some scrap I had, should have been a MUCH thicker wall tube but it did the job.
IMG_4525.jpeg

Once again, thanks for watching

Greg

The neighbour is back from the arctic and gave the young lad and I a hand this aft. The frame is up, still some pins to go in but the basic shape is there.

The tractor doesn't have the reach to get the beams up, so made this extension, works great. Used some scrap I had, should have been a MUCH thicker wall tube but it did the job.

Once again, thanks for watching

Greg
Looking good Greg, what's missing in these shots Greg???? Saddie, your faithful sidekick...:love: So to me it looks like something is missing.

Did you build that work cart in the background? I guess no heat in the winter :eek 2:

Had to check, she usually gets in the shot. Sure enough she's off to the right in yesterdays picture lol
Thats my take on a mule. Was watching I think it was Full Metal Jacket one night and saw this vehicle in the back ground. Rewound and paused, had never seen one before, a bit of Googling and I found the Mule built by Willys.
My version is only 2 wheel drive. Used the hydrostatic drive out of an old Cub Cadet garden tractor. Think I posted a build on it here a few years ago. Gets used a lot around the yard. Will haul about a half cord firewood from the processor up to the pile.

Greg

Wow! Made the same hair clips!
Also, working through a pile of Hardinge taper scales. Volunteering for one has led to five or six...
7052fd1eb29ac3404f8f3e585f7ed89a.jpg
da1e4b43700de493ba2532739198b0c2.jpg
0541184793327d6cb6d482ba95207e1a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Little production run of a part on my Tormach 1100MX. Have been prototyping and making all one-off parts so far. Great to test the repeatability of this machine today in some Grade 5 Titanium. 60 parts, 180 holes with counterbores, 120 tool changes, and 30 engravings. Happy with the cycle time at 4:03 of actual machine cycle time and 6-7 minutes total time. As always, some great learning. Really loving this Tormach so far.

POTD was making a new plastic for a circa 1980 Williams Firepower pinball machine. This particular pinball was a pretty big seller, something like 17,000 of them made back in the day. Features were voice and multi-ball.

I picked up the game a while back and noticed during some preventive maintenance that a corner was broken off one of the plastics. The Firepower was a pretty popular machine, there's a website from an enthusiast with nice schematics, scanned instructions, and scans of the plastics.

I took a shot making a replacement by printing the broken one on our color laser printer. Then used a glue stick to attach it to a piece of 1/8" lexan (original plastic was 0.080" thick). Didn't show any of the "machining", but drilled the attaching holes with a hand drill, rough cut to the line on a band saw, and sanded to the line with a belt sander.

Looks pretty decent on the game, not perfect, but you'd have trouble telling it's a replacement.

Thanks for looking, Bruce

Color laser printed image on top, broken plastic at the bottom
20211003_133151.jpg

New plastic at the bottom. Used a glue stick on the surface of the printed image to stick it to the 1/8" lexan, then sanded to the boundary line.
20211003_135929.jpg

My replacement is the one on the right
20211003_140340.jpg

All good now
20211003_140401.jpg

Love the old machine. I remember going to Sears and playing the Gargoyle pinball machine all the time.

Back