2021 POTD Thread Archive

@BGHansen That is a great looking repair job. If you trim off the white from your printout and leave it just clear around the edge I think it would be even harder to tell it from the original. What a fun game to have at home.

Made a clamp tool to hold a section of a die to hopefully make a thread chaser.
multi start holder 1.jpg
The front bolt tightens the clamp, the sides prevent the die bit from turning or sliding sideways and the rear bolt cantilevers the clap upwatrd exerting more pressure on the die bit.
multistart 2.jpg
Here is a test cut in plastic of a four start M1 thread, I've stopped one pass so you can see the four simultaneous threads.
It seems good, smooth, no rough bits but I dont yet have the nut to test it.
plastic thread.jpg
One change I should make is to re-shape the bit to cant the thread angle more in keeping with the M4 thread angle.
Its too shallow at the moment but did still work well.

One change I should make is to re-shape the bit to cant the thread angle more in keeping with the M4 thread angle.
Its too shallow at the moment but did still work well.
quick update, it worked fine on aluminium but not on stainless.
I will see what the new angles do when I get that done.

made a new countershaft and motor pulley for my SB9, both to reduce motor pulley slip (J6 to J8 belt) and reduce countershaft pulley speed
IMG_0391.JPG
IMG_0392.JPG
and static balanced on my ghetto rig
IMG_0395.JPG

works a treat, no vibration, spindle speeds are down ~20% and slip is reduced a bit though I still need to use backgears for low speed/ high load cuts. Onto the next project!

made a new countershaft and motor pulley for my SB9, both to reduce motor pulley slip (J6 to J8 belt) and reduce countershaft pulley speed
View attachment 381704
View attachment 381705
and static balanced on my ghetto rig
View attachment 381706

works a treat, no vibration, spindle speeds are down ~20% and slip is reduced a bit though I still need to use backgears for low speed/ high load cuts. Onto the next project!
Looks great, but why would you want to reduce the speed? I'm probably late to the game here.

good question - I'm running a treadmill motor and want to keep the max spindle speed to ~1500rpm. WIth what I had intended to be the middle pulley ratio (about 1:1) the top spindle speed would be nearly 2000rpm, which is both way too fast for comfort and would make the large spindle pulley kinda pointless. So slowing down the countershaft speed will help get me closer to the range I want and now that it's done I can calculate the countershaft step pulley diameters and start making them :)

Well i've been gone for half a month, i had a emergency trip to Athens, Greece i made the trip in my brothers Ford. Which was a mistake, it managed to burn thru 7 liters of engine oil in 1500 Km. But just as i come back i could see white elephant no: 2 was waiting for me in the small garage. My brother managed to drop the engine out of it, in the process broken a coolant line and left it to drain coolant in the inspection pit for days. In the picture the engine was future down i raised it immediately because only thing holding it was the battery positive lead. The repair was simple, i only threaded the mount with a bigger tap drill it deeper also, reinstalled everything new hose ( 20 year old one but not broken) new coolant and it was back to use. I'm not sure how or where this car broke but my brother maned to buy one more car a GM now.
IMG_20211007_162106333333333333.jpgIMG_20210928_225016.jpgIMG_20210929_181126.jpg

Well i've been gone for half a month, i had a emergency trip to Athens, Greece i made the trip in my brothers Ford. Which was a mistake, it managed to burn thru 7 liters of engine oil in 1500 Km. But just as i come back i could see white elephant no: 2 was waiting for me in the small garage. My brother managed to drop the engine out of it, in the process broken a coolant line and left it to drain coolant in the inspection pit for days. In the picture the engine was future down i raised it immediately because only thing holding it was the battery positive lead. The repair was simple, i only threaded the mount with a bigger tap drill it deeper also, reinstalled everything new hose ( 20 year old one but not broken) new coolant and it was back to use. I'm not sure how or where this car broke but my brother maned to buy one more car a GM now.
I'd be looking for a new brother :grin:

I'd be looking for a new brother :grin:
It's the roads and the loose nut behind the wheel, he jump railroad tracks a bit fast and when he landed white elephant could not hold its belly. I'm more afraid of the GM (general motors) he just bought, they brake all the time.

Some days a guy just gets lucky….

This is what was left of a flat-head #7 screw seized inside the barrel of the crank lobe after I torqued the head off trying to horse it out. Eyeballed the first hole in with a #54 drill then pulled it out with a #51

1634091654033.jpeg
1634091706376.jpeg

Some days a guy just gets lucky… :)

Last edited:
Back