2021 POTD Thread Archive

I've been very busy lately, but cars don't seem to care, white elephant No2's front end become very loose those cars aren't most stable new and with ripped bushes and loose sway bar links are all over the road. So i got to work, new front and rear bushes on the lower arms, new ball joints, new sway bar links on both sides. Most difficult was pressing in the new rear bushes all in all took me about 3 hours, not too bad. Just as i finish it my brother come to pick it with the 206, it's looking good but is skipping he still hasn't gotten plates for it and is not being driven only started for few minutes at a time and has fueled the spark plugs, so i clean the spark plugs and changed the ignition coil on it as well. it runs well after that.
IMG_20211010_131312.jpgIMG_20211010_125332.jpgIMG_20211010_125214.jpgIMG_20211010_141114.jpgIMG_20211011_145600.jpg

I have made a bunch of different gizmos to set the tool height in my CXA tool holders. But all of them need the tool to be mounted in the lathe. This is of course at times inconvenient, so I made a QC tool post simulator that I can use offline with the surface plate and height gauge. Bolted a trapezoidal aluminum chunk made to the right dimensions to a steel plate machined flat on the bottom with a strip on the top milled parallel. This keeps the height reference constant no matter which end of the holder the tool is on. I chucked up a short piece of round stock and cut a 60 degree point, exactly at the lathe centerline. Then with that point, I scribed a line on the tool post, measured down from the top of the tool post to the line, and then set the new target height, being the height of the aluminum toolpost minus the scribed reference setting.

it’s easy now to hit the exact height needed, for any shape tip or type of holder.

I reset all my tools, and found some set 0.020“ off. The horror of it!

Attachments

• A83A7A93-B8F6-4865-9AE1-0EFDFF1ECE92.jpeg
    A83A7A93-B8F6-4865-9AE1-0EFDFF1ECE92.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 39
  • B38D339A-4308-4FF8-AF6E-82421439A1A9.jpeg
    B38D339A-4308-4FF8-AF6E-82421439A1A9.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 39
I have made a bunch of different gizmos to set the tool height in my CXA tool holders. But all of them need the tool to be mounted in the lathe. This is of course at times inconvenient, so I made a QC tool post simulator that I can use offline with the surface plate and height gauge. Bolted a trapezoidal aluminum chunk made to the right dimensions to a steel plate machined flat on the bottom with a strip on the top milled parallel. This keeps the height reference constant no matter which end of the holder the tool is on. I chucked up a short piece of round stock and cut a 60 degree point, exactly at the lathe centerline. Then with that point, I scribed a line on the tool post, measured down from the top of the tool post to the line, and then set the new target height, being the height of the aluminum toolpost minus the scribed reference setting.

it’s easy now to hit the exact height needed, for any shape tip or type of holder.

I reset all my tools, and found some set 0.020“ off. The horror of it!
I think this is a phenomenal idea!

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

Back