2021 POTD Thread Archive

I trued up the jaws on my Griptru - after messing with it, I found that the jaws where bell mouthed. I could get a .2mm feeler gauge down through the first half of several jaws, and you could see very obvious visible runout in a part, and it was easy to wiggle it even when done up. I could dial it out using the adjustment of the chuck, but it wasn’t right. So dialled the body of the chuck to zero, and the used the grip between the jaws method to load them up, and went to work with my carbide boring bar with a cbn insert as I don’t have a grinder.

View attachment IMG_1611.MOV
View attachment IMG_1612.MOV

7F21D87A-9763-48BB-A7AB-EAD6E2F9709A.jpeg
View attachment IMG_1613.MOV

run out on my test bar is now ~0.02 / 0.03mm which I can live with. Especially as it now clamps along the entire length of each jaw. I also cleaned up the faces as well, as some of them where dinged up.

FDAF67F5-42D6-403C-B042-9B636FF69A4C.jpeg

@GreatOldOne

The video files only played sound.

I tried to download two of them. Neither would play.

Can you post them in a way or place where they work properly?

downloaded some of the videos. You cut those without using a way to put any tension on the jaws?
No - I had equally sized blocks between the jaws and tightened them up to tension them in the inward direction.
@GreatOldOne
The video files only played sound.

I tried to download two of them. Neither would play.

Can you post them in a way or place where they work properly?
hmmm - that’s odd. They’re just .mov files. I’ll try again later once I’ve gotten logged into work and cleared the decks.

Back