Potential welder

I have that same unit. Mine is about 6 years old and have not had any problems other than a rheostat go bad in the foot pedal. It's a fine machine and if you search this site, you can see many examples of my welding. I've had periods where it was used 4-5 hours per day for a few weeks at a time. Never a single problem with it. That brand is in the top ranks of the second-tier units.

Like most welding packages that come with torches, the torch it comes with is somewhat "clunky". I self-taught myself how to TIG with that stock torch. Probably would have made faster progress by getting a CK or equivalent right off the bat.

Anyhow, I can't seem to kill that thing and it's my go-to welding unit.

Ray

I'm at the same point as you, if you read in my post, "Getting Started with TIG". It might be a good little welder, but at 200 amp, it's limited to 1/4" aluminum. I've been watching vids and reading forums. At 250amp, you're hitting industrial power. Everlast use to be called nEverlast. when they first came out. BTW. They have improved their machines. Their customer service has an excellent rep.

If you find one and swing the extra cash, the HPT 221 looks great

I think it might be better made than the Miller or Lincoln. I'm no electrician, but this guy seems to know what he talking about.

Good luck.

I'm at the same point as you, if you read in my post, "Getting Started with TIG". It might be a good little welder, but at 200 amp, it's limited to 1/4" aluminum. I've been watching vids and reading forums. At 250amp, you're hitting industrial power. Everlast use to be called nEverlast. when they first came out. BTW. They have improved their machines. Their customer service has an excellent rep.

If you find one and swing the extra cash, the HPT 221 looks great

I think it might be better made than the Miller or Lincoln. I'm no electrician, but this guy seems to know what he talking about.

Good luck.
I have been considering the Everlast at this point due to the value proposition, also they are located near me. I have not been able to find any local suppliers for HTP near me. Once I have completed my O/A,STICK,MIG intro classes then I will make a decision on the type of machine that will best suit me. Before the big purchase, I have to get my garage shop insulated and wired. The good news is the electrician is scheduled and shop layout is semi formalized, just trying to figure out how make the wife's stuff vanish that is encroaching.

Make sure you get a 50amp plug installed. All the serious welders take that size. I have a Millermatic 250x MIG, it's an older model, they're called 253 now, I think, and that inverter 200 AC DC TIG I ordered. The Miller full load draw is 42amps and the inverter is 36 amps, both have 50amp plugs. Though I just have a 40amp stove plug and I have never tripped. And I don't expect ever to either. The extension cord is the adapter.

Miller has learned to change model numbers so they can obsolete the parts quicker. New owners with new business practices. So don't get too hung up on getting parts and service past warranty , just find the name of a service tech who rebuilds boards. The new age of electronics.. Speaking of which, I was steered away from the Lincoln Square Wave 200, as they are bonded with heat paste, and as such are non repairable.

what about their TIG/Stick/Plasma units? Looking at their 205SI combo unit.

Back