Pouring slab for existing wood shed.

agfrvf

Registered
Registered
Moving to a new place with a nice 24x14 shed. Currently it is up on blocks and has a wood floor. There is now way in hell it will hold my machines. My thought was to lift it and pour a 6" fiber reinforced slab and set the structure down on top. Then drop the structure on the slab. Anyone ever do this?

Are you planning to leave the original wood floor? If not it would be possible but a lot of work. If it's a manufactured shed it may be cost effective to sell it & build a new building.

Remove the floor, raise it up and prep the floor area, then pour the floor and then lower it on to the concrete.

I would also say remove the wood floor first. Unless there is a reason you want to keep it movable.

For a shop of that size and considering the amount of weight you will be loading onto the slab I dont think I would proceed unless i also did a foundation of some type! IMHO there is Way too much work and money being spent on a project of that size to NOT go that extra distance to ensure a solid structure.

No experience with fiber reinforcing, I'd be inclined to use #3 rebar @ 24" OC, both ways. Put the bar on chairs to keep it at least 1.5" away from any surface. If your site is solid I don't think adding footings is going to help much in FL.

Most houses in FL are built without footings. I am also zero risk of frost heaving and on top of a small hill. The current structure has been up about 3 years so the ground is relatively stable. The blocks show no signs of sinking with a payload of lawn tactor and tools.

To gravel or not to gravel seems like the biggest question.

Fiber prevents cracks from spreading and has the strength or rebar.

I did the fiber on my last edition (22x36).
3 1/2" of concrete with 12"x12" outer perimeter.
I did the gravel and vibrating plate compactor to pack it in place.
Along with the fiber I did 4 square wire.
Two 1/8 x 1 1/2 runs of steel used to screed off of. And those remained just below the surface for two lengthwise controlled cracks, so I wouldn't have to have cut lines.
No cracks so far after 2 years. And montana might be a little more hostile to concrete than florida.

You probably needed the 12"12" perimeter for snow on the roof. If It ever gets that bad at my place your roof would be long past caved in.

I did the fiber on my last edition (22x36).
3 1/2" of concrete with 12"x12" outer perimeter.
I did the gravel and vibrating plate compactor to pack it in place.
Along with the fiber I did 4 square wire.
Two 1/8 x 1 1/2 runs of steel used to screed off of. And those remained just below the surface for two lengthwise controlled cracks, so I wouldn't have to have cut lines.
No cracks so far after 2 years. And montana might be a little more hostile to concrete than florida.

To keep costs down do you think using a hand tamper to pack gravel would do?

Back