Powder Coating: Equipment Suggestions

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've made and will be making more doodads for my motorcycle. This will be just for myself and it'll be mostly small jobs, no bigger than a shoe box if that. I've tried various paints and they held up to the wind and detritus as well as I thought they would so I'd love to powder coat them. Any suggestions on guns or related equipment, also blasting cabs I would greatly appreciate. I do have a large upright compressor. I've been doing a lot of reading and getting some ideas. I trust you guys' opinions more. :encourage:

You live in NJ as I do, there are multiple powder coating shops here, this is not Montana.
Send the parts to someone that already has the equipment and infrastructure in place.

if you go down the home route then can you supply enough power to drive the oven.
Make it larger than you think you will need.
Install a very good earth.
I have found the cheap gun works fine for non complex parts.
An electric household oven works well but not for food after.

I make small parts too. I use a Sears gun (that hasn't been available new for a long time - but can be found on e-bay) like this one:powder coat gun.jpg It doesn't even need an air compressor! Surprisingly it works great for what I do. I use a cheap pizza / toaster oven for curing. Total outlay was less than $150. I DO buy quality powders and keep them dry.

Examples of a few things I've made and powder coated. Everything is 6061 aluminum, polished, color coated, and clear powder-coated. (discoloration and "puffiness" is actually reflection because I don't know how to photograph highly reflective surfaces!!)

So, like others have said, an inexpensive gun and about any oven can give good results. I wouldn't want to use this equipment for any amount of production or parts bigger that 10 - 12 inches though.
collection 1a.jpg USMC 1a.jpg Jack D Bib 1b.jpg

I started out with an Eastwood gun. It was ok but I powdercoat a batch once a week of around 20-50 pieces so semi production? I do over 1,000 pieces a year so my experience may not be applicable. But except for my gun all my stuff is semi home brew. My small powdercoat booth, my dust cyclone are homemade. My old home electric oven is one I got off CL for $25. Works excellent. All my stuff fits in the oven no problem with the homemade racks. So most of my rig is repurposed and DIY. All my material is new but I do have a small HF blast cab that I need to get back to for mod's so it would work better. But since I rarely need it, it's been sitting in storage for 8yrs.

The gun I have was $800 and was the best upgrade as far as finish because of my parts. Faraday effects odd shaped parts with lots of surfaces making no matter how much powder you blow in there not stick. The guns in this price range have circuitry to deal with this and it works good. I don't have bare spots anymore and finish is more consistent and smooth. But it's hard to justify this for home use but I just wanted to put out there that there is a difference.

Like paint, prep is paramount. So clean surface, as dustoil free as possible and a good dryer on your compressed air. A booth keeps dust and wind from fouling the part and keeps the powder from fouling the shop. My booth is 24"x24" open in front and top with a DIY vac setup and contains the powder amazingly good. It's on a stand made of conduit so it's at the right height and on castors to move around. I need to put a top on it to stop the last of the eddy currents of wind from messing with spray.

For powder coating your gonna get the best outcome when using an electro-static gun like what Groundhog posted above. They provide the most efficient method of transferring the powder coating onto the part by the way the gun charges the powder so that it's attracted to the part which means less wasted material being lost to overspray!

The gun I have was $800 and was the best upgrade as far as finish because of my parts. Faraday effects odd shaped parts with lots of surfaces making no matter how much powder you blow in there not stick. The guns in this price range have circuitry to deal with this and it works good. I don't have bare spots anymore and finish is more consistent and smooth. But it's hard to justify this for home use but I just wanted to put out there that there is a difference..

What gun do you have? I have a HF cheap gun and want to upgrade.

It's the Kool Koat 2.0 DPW. Seems they have upgraded recently to the 3.0.

Friend has done a lot of stuff and he uses a toaster oven for the smalls. Larger stuff he uses a common house stove. Another buddy just built his own oven using steel studs kaowool and 16g steel. About the size of two fridges. I think it was a little less than 500 for all the material and controls. Sandblaster both have the HF larger version for like 125. Works good but needs a vac to be hooked up.

Back