Powder coating - have you tried it?

eac67gt

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member

1. eac67gt - 03-08-13, 11:40 AM
    Powder coating is always one of those things like anodizing I wanted to try but haven't. It seems a bit more costly than anodizing but like any finishing it has its place. I know different people that have tried it at home and got into deep battles with their wives after trying to use the kitchen oven. Not a good idea. In a lot of our cases a small toaster oven would probably be big enough for our parts we machine. Once again I have no experience at powder coating but have small itch to try so if anyone has done it or has any input on it let us know. Ed​
    Edit Report IP
  2. xalky - 03-08-13, 12:14 PM
    I saved my old kitchen stove and installed it in my basement for such things as powder coating or preheating things for welding. I just did my first powder coating a few weeks ago. It came out alright considering i had almost no clue what i was doing. I use the harbor freight powder coat gun, I can't remember what i paid but it was pretty cheap with a 20% off coupon.​
    Edit Report IP
  3. fretsman - 03-08-13, 08:30 PM
    I have also done a little bit as I just got setup with a small toaster oven.

Definitely need a cleaner area as I have a few "fisheyes" that spoil a good part.

It is very nice and sturdy stuff though, my setup comes from Eastwood company and seems to be a decent quality.

Hopefully I get a little more time to play soon, just swamped with work here lately.

Dave

EDIT: I guess we can't directly upload pics in the group area? We have to use a url only?​
    Edit Report IP
  4. eac67gt - 03-09-13, 10:01 AM
    The way I found to add pics was to copy and paste them right into your post. I had to make sure though that the pic was sized correctly because I had one that was so big you had to scroll ALOT to get from side to side. Learning curve.
    This "Group" thing does have more limited capabilities for posting than the regular forum. I did make a request to create a forum topic on this subject but it hasn't been done yet and may never be so we, for now, will continue down our happy path.

Ed​
    Edit Report IP
  5. xalky - 03-09-13, 11:07 AM
    I think this category warrants a section in the main forum down by the welding section. I'll see if i can prod a little bit to make it happen.​

Last edited by a moderator:
newly painted bracket2.jpgdone1 (800x600).jpg
yup. last summer. also made / modified a kitchen oven and put it on a cart. i used the horror freight gun and it was quite easy. im just not sure what i want to powdercoat next :)

this was to attach a battery operated weed wacker to my zero turn J.D. mower.

newly painted bracket2.jpg done1 (800x600).jpg

Awesome! Looks great!
What kind of expense was it for gun and powder.
Any issues to look for in the process?

Have a great day!

Ed

"Any issues to look for in the process?"

the gun was the cheapie from harbor freight about $75 if i remember right. the powder was $9 for the pint can. i went to a guy in town that does it for a living and asked if i could match the john deere green. he looked all over thru his many many cartons of powder and that was as close as he had.

a couple tricks i learned were: clean clean clean. i think i used carbon tetra something or other. . . lint free cloth to clean with. rubber gloves. it helps to warm the part in the oven a bit before you dust on the powder. some guys said to take the defusser off the tip of the gun when doing real small areas, the gun i had would not let me do that.

this must be done in a draft free enviornment as the powder is just barely clinging to the surface. and, i hung mine from a wire in my garage ceiling and that wire went with the part into the oven. ya can't touch any of it or the powder falls off. then:

into the oven that was set for 375F and already warmed up. set the timer for 15 minutes i think it was, and let it cook.

took it out of the oven and hung it back up to cool.

a couple spots were really thin (it takes practice to get a decent and even coat of powder on) do i just dusted a bit more powder on with a soft artist brush, no magnet attraction as it was on a flat spot, and stuck it back in the oven.

another 15minutes and the touch up spots were crappy but at least covered. . . . . end of test. pulled the oven out to the barn for winter and now just waiting for warm weather to possibly do some more stuff.

there is lots and lots of information on the web. . . and i did read a lot of it. i did not put any circulation fan in my oven but i will if its necessary for whatever i do with it.

good luck to anyone who tries it. its really rewarding and for a $100 - $125 you should be able to even get a small toaster oven from a garage sale so you too can do it.

Here is where I buy my powder.

I buy my powder from "PowderBuythePound" website. Wide selction and fast delivery. Plus you can buy in 1 pound increments. Check it out.

Also, I got my gun at "Eastwood" I have their original Hotcoat gun. Seems to work OK.

Here is a sample of some of my powder coating. The polished aluminum and brass are cleared PC. This is on an old Wayne 615 gaspump.

Drain.JPG Nozzle Hook.JPG Pump.JPG

Wow Randy you are really tempting me. I have to justify it first before I attempt to make the purchase. Kids, college...... :bawling:

Ed

Last edited:
I'm not convinced about powder coating's benefits.
- It can look great when new, but ages badly.
- It doesn't lend itself to "touch up" paint repairs.
- Sub-surface corrosion and subsequent flaking of the coating can result.
- Removal for re-coating reportedly isn't easy.

To some extent, the ease with which it can be done might compensate.
I prefer traditional baked enamel - now very expensive alas.

Jordan

I tried it once,never again. :whiteflag:
I couldn't get over all the unused powder that just floats by, then down to the ground.
PLUS, my shop smelled like every stray dog in the state took a crap inside it after it came out of the oven and the coating was uneven, and un impressive.

never again, I'm sticking to duracoat

anyone want a good deal on a HF powder coating system and a pint of white, and mostly filled pint of yellow, let me know.

Back