powder coating oven

What? Not using carbon fiber tubing for your trusses? Shame shame, that thing is going to weigh a ton.
Unfortunately I have a great powder coater just 4 blocks (easy walking distance) from my house and they work with me so well.
My Surrier Truss plans for my little 10" are probably going to be alum tube, but carbon fiber is sooo tempting.

What? Not using carbon fiber tubing for your trusses? Shame shame, that thing is going to weigh a ton.
I've worked with carbon fibre before and didnt like it much (building windsurfers) but it sure looks cool.
I dont mind heavy as it dont vibrate in the wind but then inertia starts rearing its ugly head.

Found a fan at last, I hope its strong enough to take the heat, its from an electric oven and used to circulate air to cool the outside of the oven. It obviously gets hot in use but can it stand the temps I want.
I guess I will find out.
Made the holder to fit it to the oven wall
oven-24.jpg

In place and a quick test shows it produces plenty of puff.
oven-23.jpg
Now on to the ducting but I have a full calendar this week so not much more will get done.

Got the ducting done
oven-25.jpg

Now working on the outer insulated cover
oven-26.jpg
The top section needs a box for the wiring and also be easily removable in case I have to replace the motor.
I'm still in two minds as to whether I should insulate the motor of leave it exposed.
It would be the only place where heat could leak away but its not a large area. Hmmmmm.

I am thinking that unless the motor is rated for that kind of heat, I'd leave it exposed.

Randy is correct. Tbe motor needs to be exposed as the heat will ruin it. You could insulate the squirrel cage fan housing and leave the motor exposed as it is on the end of the fan housing. ( That's the way it looks in the photos ).

Coming along great. Oil-lite bushings, or bearings on the fan? If oil might want to make up some oiler tubes and give a drop or two every once and a while to help it live. Not too much too often, or it may cause issues with your finish. Cheers, Mike

Back