Powder coating

savarin

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
does anyone know if powder coating is resistant to cutting fluids?
Two fluids I use have removed all the chinesium paint from my 9x20 every where its splashed.
Also would any of the castings warp in the heat of the powder coating oven?
Thanks

Yes powder coating should hold up to cutting fluids. Casting warping their is a possibility of stress relief which can do anything. If your thinking of powder coating your lathe. I think it would be a lot easier to strip and do acouple coats of oil based rustoleum paint. Very durable

The only fluid that I have found to effect powder coats is Acetone and even then it will not strip it. It only softens it for a short period.

Bear in mind, some powders are more resistant than others to fluid types. There are many compositions of powder all with specific application in mind.

sounds like its worth a go when I strip it and adjust everything where I've flogged it so relentlessly.

I've been powder coating the parts on my SB 9A project. Seems to be working good. The only thing I can't coat is what I can't get into my oven...the bed and the stand, so I will find some paint to match. As Randy said, acetone will dissolve powder coat and so will carb cleaner. Acetone doesn't work as fast because it evaporates faster. If you need to strip off powder coat, I use the carb cleaner in a method. You soak a rag in carb cleaner and wrap it around the part, then put the whole works in a plastic bag so it doesn't evaporate. In about 20 minutes the powder coat will peel off like grape skin.

I've been powder coating the parts on my SB 9A project. Seems to be working good. The only thing I can't coat is what I can't get into my oven...the bed and the stand, so I will find some paint to match. As Randy said, acetone will dissolve powder coat and so will carb cleaner. Acetone doesn't work as fast because it evaporates faster. If you need to strip off powder coat, I use the carb cleaner in a method. You soak a rag in carb cleaner and wrap it around the part, then put the whole works in a plastic bag so it doesn't evaporate. In about 20 minutes the powder coat will peel off like grape skin.

Thanks Derf, I didn't know that. :encourage:

Most carb cleaners seem to be predominately acetone, toluene and methylethyl ketone so no wonder it removes paint and softens the plastics in powder coating. At least we dont see benzene these days.

Here's what I've got done so far...
DSC02537.JPGDSC02538.JPG
DSC02539.JPG

A few tips: spend some time to smooth up the castings, the slicker they are, the slicker they will turn out. Make sure the castings are oil free, if your not sure, pre-bake them to cook out all the oil and grease and blow the powder on while they are hot. If you don't have any silicone plugs to mask off holes, use a wad of aluminum foil. I found that the cheap ol' manilla colored masking tape works well as it almost falls off coming out of the oven. To clean up the goo left behind, use WD-40 and some #0000 steel wool.

Back