Power Cross Feed Repair/ Miter Gear Replacement

bhusted

Registered
Registered
Now that I've got the traverse gearbox working well, I think I should tackle the power cross feed. Like many of these lathes, the key cast into the miter gear is entirely gone. I was planning to broach a new keyway and pin a new key in there and be on my way. On closer inspection, the Zamak gears are crumbling so I don't think this repair would last long. I'm not sure what causes this, but I'd like to replace it with a steel gear.

D1hWiDKhlpxVEqe9Q3VE5JjIDm4NcV8q2zaHSZgLoDAwm68YDi5xmI-vwvVs8jOMQTRB6E8hZVl01nr-w8Onl5HAVQaQ_VakDnYYLX2DNa--HjXp--a43RjuspVUCBibSVl7qO1PlB8=w1000

From the measurements I've taken of the original, it appears to be a 12DP 18T miter gear. I'm not sure how to measure the pressure angle, but all of the commercial ones I've found are 20 deg, so I'm hoping that's a match. Has anyone used a gear from Boston or otherwise and adapted it to this purpose? I know there are steel versions available on eBay and elsewhere, but I'd like to do this myself for less $$$.

This one from Boston Gear is only $26.50 and seems to meet all of the necessary criteria. I would bore the center out to 3/4" to clear the leadscrew and then make a counterbore on the back to accept a sleeve pressed in for the shank where the keyway is. The pair could be silver soldered together or pinned if a sufficient press isn't achieved. Thoughts?

x3deBR4eQtzkNZiQQ66VFJGvmwQnyp7SGHUrHQYMSG3x1Sxf2GmBD0uuqrovftbdlsN1KC1uhO-xb7WrlvWiB8UmjR2lLxc4gYKK4hplXQfvYPzcupup8549pAIlKbnjwAOTzQ_IGt4=w1000

The gear in your picture is obviously a 14 1/2 degree pressure angle, it would not mesh with a 20 degree gear.

I posted the Boston gear part numbers for this gear awhile back. I will have to look for it.
Pierre

The gear in your picture is obviously a 14 1/2 degree pressure angle, it would not mesh with a 20 degree gear.

How can you tell so definitively? I've been trying to compare measurements from the model to the original to determine if it is a match. All of the descriptions for how to measure the PA I've found are based on spur gears and I have not found any that deal with miter or bevel gears.

I posted the Boston gear part numbers for this gear awhile back. I will have to look for it.
Pierre
That would be excellent. I was not able to find anything in their catalog that was a 14.5 degree PA.

A view of the large end of the teeth would be more definitive, the large end of the gear is equivalent to a spur gear of the same pitch, if you had a set of gear gages, you could compare pressure angles; if a picture of the big end were posted, I could tell pressure angle for certain, the difference is obvious.

Here's are images of the gear profiles from the back side.

20 deg PA CAD model:
fyito_cfajUKE-0XahdgeEUkh_ue_gw0fVJOaT9IWgpZL5_BexbOXxLGkWI9jvT62nvUSPGxGyG9DmkPvZicVkic-fzsj75xmySoUdSptL5NJoi3rdiC79lWUGSKRZsy52BvSxhfEA0=w1000

Original Gear:
uJJtaL53QUgIWEcPRflT_EExhd2Rz-OHKhatmYXtxPZjLqOfLmf3cddtOn9DSiRdZzKAJ2k4PsbblMf5NVXMzrAiGI5Y4rKnsCiRpYJrWjkp9mYMaFyhsQIO8eCWqJ6va2w10gH-vWo=w600

Here are the two laid over the top of each other:
nnL-_Wc8HBd0BeUhldH-fZghxrtlZRUc6JYmNkXft753i1NHzq5IGIMWDMjr26nAXz7dQDi3tswAcji2Wfjwe2RbKTmrqREbDz0NYg0AIBb1Gg0XQ6OrPCy4hUlu5KiUHWzOs8pdqcU=w1000

The tooth form sure looks the same to me. I also measured the distances at the root of each tooth.

# of Teeth1234
Original Gear.170.405.635.831
20 deg PA.147.379.599.802

Yes, it does appear to be 20 degree P.A. What is the condition of the mating gear?

Here you go, not Boston Gear! It is a Browning YSM12B18X5/8

IMG_4132.jpg

Pierre

This gear can be used for both locations with some machining and addition of a pressed on regular spur gear to drive the crossfeed screw gear. The Zamak metal has issues over time. The Zinc pest it is known as.
Pierre

Last edited:
This gear can be used for both locatiuons with some machining and addition of a pressed on regular spur gear to drive the crossfeed screw gear. The Zamak metal has issues over time. The Zinc pest it is known as.
Pierre

Thanks for the info. I ordered the Boston version from Amazon and hopefully I can get it fixed up. The mating gear is in worse condition, but I was able to source one of the steel versions for $35, and I didn't think I would be able to price out another miter gear and the spur for less.

Back