Power Draw Bar Install on PM TS Style Knee mill

Yes, I saw and read your response David, I was just not watching I guess and had missed it when you posted. Have a great Christmas
Alex

Happy Holidays to everyone! I just joined the Hobby-Machinist on Dec. 1st. and was pleasantly surprised to find all of this information on the installation of the Maxi Torque-Rite drawbar system with step pulleys.

Recently, my machinist friend and I purchased two of these Maxi Torque units (new, old stock in open boxes) and they were both TR 100 DB164, which I know is for Jet Model JTM4VS and Clausing Atlas machines (R8). I know these drawbars are not the correct length for our Bridgeport step pulley mills.

Based upon the information that is posted on this forum, I need to obtain DB-101 drawbars. I spoke with a gentleman at All Machine Parts the other day and he told me the drawbar would be $65 and the mounting kit is $85. Apparently the kit also includes a plastic alignment fixture. I know from looking at my mill that this mounting bracket must have a relief on the back side to clear the motor housing. The pictures you have posted also show a relief on the front side for the spindle brake.

I am entertaining the idea of making my own mounting plate & spacers & my own alignment tool. This is one of my hobbies, I’m retired, and I have this equipment sitting here and I should be putting it to good use. I’m also a 304SS nut – and “yes”, you do need sharp tools and a quiet mind”. I think it might be a good idea to capture these three 1-7/16” spacers in the bracket. My thought would be to add a shoulder at the top of these spacers and then slide them into the bracket with Loctite. This should simplify the assembly process. I would need to design my own alignment fixture.

In all of the photos that were posted, it appears the step pulley mounting bracket is “thicker” than the mounting plate on the Maxi Torque unit, which measures a little over .375”. If anyone can supply the thickness of that All Machine Parts Maxi Torque mounting bracket that would be very helpful.

I do have some concerns about the alignment of this assembly with the c/l of the drawbar/ spindle after this PDB assembly is bolted in place. I did see David’s post regarding the reworked drawbar bushing and I will have to take a look at that as well.

Did any of you have any alignment issues with the All Machine Parts pieces after the fasteners were installed in the belt housing? I ask this question because I spoke with someone that had recently installed this All Machine Parts kit on a J-Head and he told me he had to go back and open up the spacer mounting holes in the bracket after he had drilled and tapped the pulley housing and installed the fasteners.

Any input that you have would be greatly appreciated!
Steve

Steve: for what it's worth I've ordered the bracket kit (SP100 bracket kit from Machine Tool Products) thru KBC and it comes direct from the manufacturer of the Maxi-Torque unit "Machine Tool Products". I've not received it yet so not installed and my machine is a Taiwanese clone of a bridgeport so again maybe slightly different from yours. These guys (Machine Tool Products) were very helpful when I talked to them as what KBC had sent me was for a generic Variable pitch sheave drive style mill. It might be worth a phone call to these guys given that they manufactured the unit and likely know the most about mounting it to various machine styes. Phone number is 317-593-2034, they were very helpful.
Alex

Back