Power draw bar question

Evidently you've never seen one up close. This is one I made 15 yrs. ago.
DSC02502.JPG
DSC02501.JPG Yes, there is a air cylinder that moves the impact down on the drawbar. When the control bottons are released, the springs return it to the top.
At first I had problems with the collets sticking once in a while, but to correct the problem all I did was shorten the socket and the bushing on the posts. This keeps the drawbar bottomed out in the socket and the collet can only move down.

have used my Chinese drawbar for 5 years and have had no problems, except for the collet releasing from the spindle. I hav to hold the quill handle and lock the quill to stop the quill from feeding down when I fry yo release a collet. this happens mostly when I leave a tool in the quill for an extended time period ( more than 5 days) so if I can help it I remove the tool sooner than later. I have had no damage to any collet yet and I just use the cheap Chinese ones. the Chinese drawbar was a lot cheaper than the kurt one. its what i could afford. bill

Thanks for the pics Derf. Yours definately looks good and stout.

Many of the power power draw bars I've seen on the web don't have the air cylinder and rely on manual down pressure.

The cheapest power draw bar I've seen so far is over $500, so I may well be "fabri-cobbling" one as ABOM79 likes to say!

Back