Power feed cam lever problem

diamond

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Yet another quarantine project, figure out what I need to get my BP Series 1 (1hp varispeed) power feed back to full function.

The power feed works, just won't stay engaged.

I went through all the maintenance checks and all the parts seem good. Including the bits in the trip assembly and the ball reverse lever is in good shape.

Except, the trip handle (part #104 in the BP manual). The little "ball" on the end of it that is sheered off and stuck up inside the cam rod (part #103). Unless there is another problem in the clutch, I think this is the culprit. If you look closely at the second picture (viewing the cam rod looking up from the bottom) you can see the remnant of the ball end stuck up in there.
IMG_6225.JPGIMG_6222.JPG

The trip lever is supposed to look like this, with the ball on the end.
Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 3.43.39 PM.png

A question to you all: this ball on the end of the lever appears to be jammed up inside the cam rod. I don't know if it's supposed to normally be contained up in there or if it's become jammed. I didn't go prying around too hard on it before asking here if there's any advice. I'm going to order a new lever but also wondering if y'all think there might be some reason the cam rod would be damaged too?

Also any other advice is appreciated. I'm wondering if the trip handle is all that keeps the cam rod in and the feed engaged? In other words, is it expected that without the trip lever one would have to hold the cam rod in to get the feed to advance. FWIW if I hold it until it engages the micro stop, it'll hold briefly until enough pressure is there to trip. And it does trip so I'm pretty sure that is all working.

Thanks in advance!

-dave

I would say that's your problem. You're going to have to fish the broken ball out, and I would think there may be a seat inside with a broken spring that butts into that ball. If not hard, I'd try drilling a small hole and jamming an easy out to try to pull it out

After studying the exploded diagram some more in the BP manual, while the broken ball end on the trip lever is clearly a problem to fix, I now am thinking that is not why the feed won't stay engaged. If I'm reading the diagram right there is a spring loaded "trip plunger" (part #121) that's supposed to drop down into a bushing when the cam is pushed in to hold it engaged until the "feed trip plunger" pushes it up out of the bushing to release it. I'm going to have to pull more of the assembly apart and check all that out to see why it's not holding it engaged. While I have it out I can figure out if the broken ball can be removed and the cam rod saved or have to buy a new one. It's possible the trip plunger is broken off in there as well or some other reason it's not holding the feed engaged.

Cheers

Yep, pulled the feed trip assembly this morning and that trip plunger is not extending at all so that's definitely why it won't stay engaged. Probably frozen up in gunk. Not entirely sure how it's supposed to be disassembled. If there's any pins holding it in there etc. This is where my ability to read the exploded diagram starts to fail.

There is a tiny hole (1/16"?) on the other end, not sure if I can just drive it out.

IMG_6233.JPG

I also need to sort how I'm getting that broken ball end out of there. That dowel pin seems really seized and i've got it soaking. Hopefully I'll get this all apart later today and find out what parts need replacing. I may have to end up replacing the cam rod. If I can get that durn pin out.

IMG_6234.JPG

I don't do much head repair work, but I will try and translate what Barry just told me. He said one of the biggest issues is that the assembly in the top picture needs to be cleaned up. He said that it is stuck in the up position and that is a big part of your problem. He said he can get the ball out with just a magnet almost every time.

He said to pass on that you can call and he can walk you through the process to get it out.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

Thanks so much Jon! I will be calling in. Barry has always been a huge help. Really appreciate you guys.

Continuing to document this in case someone else comes across with the same problem. I've removed, disassembled and thoroughly cleaned everything in that whole feed trip mechanism. The hole was a bit boogered up so took a bit prying around with a pick to get the ball out but I finally got it.

I'm currently stuck on this though. Even after cleaning it all up I could not get that bushing and trip plunger out out of the block. I purged it all out with copious WD40 and air and it's able to function now freely up/down and there's good pressure from the compression spring holding it down. However it won't hold the arm engaged when down in that lower bushing. It just slips out of that lower bushing and the clutch spring pops it back. Not sure if the plunger is too worn down and not enough engagement? It might be.

The cost isn't much so I'm pretty sure I'll order those parts along with the new arm but I'm a bit baffled on how to get that bushing and plunger out out of the arm. I can't see any sign of any pins or what might be holding it in there. It's probably just really stuck.

IMG_6236.JPG

I called H&W and was advised to do some more cleaning and adjustment. Said the trip plunger and bushings were probably fine.

They were right. Found some more hardened gunk that was making the trip arm stick. Got that out, adjusted it and the down feed trip is all working perfectly now. Just need to replace that feed control lever and I'm good to go for less than $30.

Hopefully this thread helps someone down the road. I've found so much help on this site. Payin' it back some.

Back