Power feed for mini mill

vincent52100

Registered
Registered
I’m building a power feed (actually it’s built) using a motor from a Walmart Hyper Tough 18v drill motor. The issue I have is getting a controller for motor speed. I’ve tried to research the motor but cannot find whether it’s brushed or brushless. Does anyone know which it is or how to tell. Any idea on what speed controller to use? Another thing I’m wondering about: what happens if you use a PWM controller for a brushed motor on a brushless motor? Thanks

I'm thinking that a brushless motor will have three wires, while a brushed motor has only two. I think brushless motors are just itty-bitty 3 phase motors. The speed control in the drill will generate three phases from the DC supply. I built a ducted-fan airboat this winter with a brushless motor. Three wires. Swapping any two of those wires will reverse the motor.

If it's a brushless motor, there are many options out there. Here's one I've bought and found useful:

If it's brushed motor (2 wires), here's a controller that should work. It's similar to one I've used for a drill motor:

Thanks for the info. It is a two wire motor. I’ll order a controller for the right motor. Anxious to get it working!

Can you not reuse the rest of the trigger control parts from the drill to control the speed?

Yeah, I trashed a couple myself, trying to use drill motors for drive. I finally tumbled to 12 volt Auto Window motors.

Aliexpress and Ebay both sell several types of dc motor controllers, cheap too. I just bought a 5 amp 35 volt one for I think 2 dollars

Back