Power feed won't run when quick change gearbox is engaged

grhm

Registered
Registered
I have an Enco 110-2031 (Taiwanese) of 1998 vintage, and I'm totally confused by the quick change gearbox. The power feed rod (or the threading rod) will turn when either of the gear shifters is disengaged (as well as when both are disengaged), but will not turn when both are engaged in any position. In fact, the motor belt slips if I turn it on with both gear shifters engaged, as it seems to lock up the gear box completely.

I would have assumed that the power feed would only run with both engaged, and not run with either disengaged, but something must be wrong inside. Any idea what?

Also, any tips for pulling it apart? It looks like I'd have to lift the machine a bit, as the tray underneath it blocks the gear shift from dropping out of the way of the faceplate. Does that seem right, or is there an "easy way" I'm missing?

IMG_20210716_192609.jpg

Power feed and threading should NEVER be engaged at the same time. You can do damage to gears and shafts. Most lathes have an interlock to prevent this.

They weren't; the lever in the top right of the photo selects either the power feed rod or the threading rod. You can't engage both at the same time. On the apron, the power feed lever is separate from the half-nut lever, but I did not (and would not) engage both at the same time.

Are you saying that the QCGB only drives the threading rod, and not the power feed?

Normally the leadscrew turns when the lever is to the right and you use the half nut lever at the carriage to engage the leadscrew. The power feed is when the same lever is to the left and the lower shaft turns, and at the carriage the power feed lever will either feed the carriage left or right in one position and power crossfeed in the other position.
Hope this helps a bit.
Pierre

@pdentrem right, I get how the controls work. What I don't understand is why either turns when the QCGB levers are disengaged, and they both lock up completely when both levers are engaged.

I suspect that the gearbox has fault. Likely frozen gears by dried out lube or rust.

Do you have an exploded diagram of the box?

Unfortunately, no. The manual provided by MSC was missing page 6, the page with the QCGB diagram on it.

Back