Power feed

H

Hukshawn

Forum Guest
Register Today
So, I want to build a power feed for my x axis on the clone.
I have a gear motor from a small power winch. Seems to turn at a good speed and has plenty of torque. Has forward and reverse.
It's not a tiny motor, and space is limited. I don't want to impede too much on travel either.
Here's a photo of a set up idea I'll explain in a moment
IMG_20171214_214127.jpg

I like complicated, cause if I can build it, I'll feel good about it. But I also very much like simple and get it done.
In this pictured arrangement, I'm thinking of the motor on a sliding track, with just a set of step pulleys to give a mild amount of varying speeds. 3 speeds to be exact. I'll make the pulleys and use a small 3/8" belt. And have the motor slide up and down in order to loosen to change positions and disengage the motor to hand crank.
I believe this is an induction motor and I cannot vary the speed electrically.

However, this is the most reasonable idea I can come up with considering space. I'm not a fan of how big the package will be and an open (slow) moving belt.

I'm open to ideas if anyone has any!

Could you just hook it directly to the screw with a lovejoy connector. I would guess that you could than still operate the mill from the right side handle in manual...
Just tossing an idea out

Last edited:
With only 3 speeds would be limited. In all honesty, I would buy a commercial unit for the x axis and use what you have there to build a unit for a powered knee.

I need to keep spending to an absolute minimum. Spending 400-600 on a proper feed motor is not an option. 100 in materials is likely tops.
Using just a connector would make the motor stick out the side of the table like another foot. My work bench is right there to the left. As it is, I'll already need to chop a corner off to facilitate this.

I realize 3 speeds is limiting, but remember, I'm only hobby. If the motor speed is not adequate for an operation, I can just work by hand. But for operations like a fly or face cut, having the consistency of a motor would be very nice.

I'm just having a hard time coming up with a good idea for orientation and connecting A & B

Maybe something like the drive in the top of a cheap drill press that provides 5 speeds. Motor only has to have a small amount of pivot when moving the belt from one groove to another. I can provide pictures if needed.

Can the motor be mounted on the back or under instead of in front?

Under or behind worried me limiting travel. My dro and coolant return pipes are behind, making it tricky to mount.

I wasn’t set on 3 speeds. I’ll do a 5 step pulley if space allows it. I just picked 3 for the brain storming session.
I had plans to try and build a variable speed pulley, but then I ran into design and placement issues. Basically, I’m, not very good at braining an idea out of nothing. Creativity is not my strong suite

I had a thought to have it hang off the bottom vertically, but that 90 deg gear change seemed difficult in my mind. And then how to very the speed from there.

My one shot oiler is right there underneath, I'd have to move it to hang the motor off the bottom, then I'd really only lose about 4-6" of travel.

As incredibly tempting as that is, it'll be $300 by the time it gets to my Canadian door.
I couldn't dream of a simple bolt on power feed. If I spent that much on ebay the Warden would dismember me and dump me in a lake. Lol.

I assume those are DC motors with variable speed?..
It's giving me an idea for orientation... I need to find some pictures of gears to properly explain myself.

Back