Power requirement for RF30/31

I was joking. I have no idea what the motor is really rated at. Most Chinese motor ratings are higher than they really are, whereas most American motors tend to be under-rated.

Sorry Mikey, hard to read sarcasm on line sometimes.
And the ultimate reality is that no matter what it's still not a Bridgeport. Having said that, I bet I will still be happy with it as long as i remember to use it within it's limitations.

You're absolutely correct. The round column on our mills is a PITA but it is not a big deal if you plan your work. Aside from that, it is a basic milling machine that is much heavier and beefier than many of the benchtop milling machines you see. I actually like mine and since replacing the bearings, I find it more than accurate enough for my needs.

I'll post up some pic's for you of my machine in about (2) weeks or so.
I'm right on the back end of finally finishing my basement shop after almost 18 months of no organized place to work.
Right now everything is moved to one side and covered in drop cloths.

The Framing is Done, Rough Electrical is in & Inspected, Sheetrock is up and in the process of being painted.
But... I've got an all week Sales Meeting next week, then a quick trip to Watertown, NY for my sons promotion to Captain, then a Week in Hawaii.
I'm not thinking I'll be making much progress in the next (2) weeks

Thanks for this - I've only got 115V in my garage shop right now, and while there's a 'plan' afoot with my wife to get an electrician in for some other work (and to concurrently look at 220 for the shop) that's not happened yet, and won't for a while, and I have a project for which I need my mill up and running soon.

Thanks for this - I've only got 115V in my garage shop right now, and while there's a 'plan' afoot with my wife to get an electrician in for some other work (and to concurrently look at 220 for the shop) that's not happened yet, and won't for a while, and I have a project for which I need my mill up and running soon.
Just one data point, but my Rong-Fu knock off will trip a 20 amp breaker if I try to run it at it's highest speed.

I'm getting around the limitation (and having to move belts around) by switching to a treadmill motor.

Update: I ran a 1.75Hp treadmill motor for a few months until it burned out. Looks like the brushes went south. Replaced it with a 3Hp treadmill motor. I've been cleaning up 3/4" A36 angle with a 3.5" facemill, that uses four 12mm round (RDT1204?) inserts. Before, the mill was continuously stalling and I had to baby it across every pass. Now, I'm taking .010" cuts, and power feeding right through it with no slow down of the spindle.

The structure does sort-of "groan" at times. The whole thing shakes a bit. So, I think 3Hp is about the limit for an RF-31.

Last edited:
Hi, I also have an RF-31 that I got about 6 months ago and have been setting it up and getting things I need. I had some of the same question that you have had, and thanks to you got them answered except one. I hate changing the speeds on this machine!!! which I'm sure most people do.
I am not that good electrically, but can wire a 220v at the RF and circuit box if necessary, if I have to. and will get a 1 to 1 ratio pulley if that is correct. or whatever you all suggest?
My question is, if I wire it for 220v does that mean I can get VFD for this motor? and if so, could someone help me or tell me what to get for this process? Thanks, Jay

I've had an RF 30 clone for around 40 years. It has a 2 hp motor rated for 20amps @110 volts/10 amps @ 220 volts. It's been run on a 20 amp breaker and the breaker has never tripped.

Hi, I also have an RF-31 that I got about 6 months ago and have been setting it up and getting things I need. I had some of the same question that you have had, and thanks to you got them answered except one. I hate changing the speeds on this machine!!! which I'm sure most people do.
I am not that good electrically, but can wire a 220v at the RF and circuit box if necessary, if I have to. and will get a 1 to 1 ratio pulley if that is correct. or whatever you all suggest?
My question is, if I wire it for 220v does that mean I can get VFD for this motor? and if so, could someone help me or tell me what to get for this process? Thanks, Jay
No, VFD won't work on this motor. You, like me have an AC motor or alternating current. VFD's work on DC motors. The only difference the 110 vs 220 volt makes is how many amps it draws. Wiring it for 220 cuts the amp draw in half. (Nowadays I think it's more correct to say 120 and 240 volts, but it's still the same)

If you want to use a VFD you will have to change to a DC motor. If you change motors you have to get same frame for mounting motor and same shaft size to fit pulley, along with cost of VFD.

Back