power supply for mig welder

quickcut

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Good Day all. Is it possible to use an inverter welding machine, say a 200 amp one, as a power source for a diy MIG welder ?

If it will produce constant current. Constant amperage is for stick welding, but a suitcase wire feeder needs constant voltage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Thanks ,I have never seen a an inverter welder (stick type) with a cv setting. Any body know of a make.

If it will produce constant current. Constant amperage is for stick welding, but a suitcase wire feeder needs constant voltage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

With one caveat, some suitcases are CC/CV which allow them to be used with a DC "stick" machine. The suitcases that I have used that are CC capable have a voltage sensing lead that clamps to the work in addition to the ground.

With one caveat, some suitcases are CC/CV which allow them to be used with a DC "stick" machine. The suitcases that I have used that are CC capable have a voltage sensing lead that clamps to the work in addition to the ground.
I think the power source needs to produce CC and CV to power a CC/CV unit, suitcase etc, which would be used in a remote capacity.

Good Day all. Is it possible to use an inverter welding machine, say a 200 amp one, as a power source for a diy MIG welder ?
What are you referring to when you say DIY MIG welder?

I think the power source needs to produce CC and CV to power a CC/CV unit, suitcase etc, which would be used in a remote capacity.

I respectfully disagree. I have used suitcases in CC mode. The Miller 12vs is one such feeder. The Miller I used had a selector toggle inside the case to choose between CC or CV. The feeder varies wire feed speed to match the actual voltage being delivered from the power source.

FCAW and spray works fine in CC..... short circuit.....meh.

20170604_161128.png

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree. I have used suitcases in CC mode. The Miller 12vs is one such feeder. The Miller I used had a selector toggle inside the case to choose between CC or CV. The feeder varies wire feed speed to match the actual voltage being delivered from the power source.

FCAW and spray works fine in CC..... short circuit.....meh.

View attachment 234870

I stand corrected. Standing with my "I think." my following post was asking what DIY Mig welder, and which does make a difference. The electronic circuitry of the 12VS allows for more stability, but the favored flavor is DC. The older models like the S3S which are VS are not very efficient. Without knowing what MIG welder the OP will be using it's difficult to say yes.

The idea is sound in principle.
i have 2 PowCon Inverter Welders (300 amp and 200 amp units)
the 200 amp unit is my dedicated FCAW unit for steels.
300 is dedicated to SMAW

You can do it!
you'll need to make or buy a wire feeder for the power supply

The idea is sound in principle.
i have 2 PowCon Inverter Welders (300 amp and 200 amp units)
the 200 amp unit is my dedicated FCAW unit for steels.
300 is dedicated to SMAW

You can do it!
you'll need to make or buy a wire feeder for the power supply
It's been a while since I held a PowCon but I remember the units as early multi-purpose models before their time but hearty and reliable? i.e. Stick, TIG scratch and MIG/FCAW.

Back