POWER TAPPER

epanzella

Active User
Registered
Tiny little project but it works so slick I had to share. I bought a set of tap holders that have a 3/8 inch square socket on one end for use with a ratchet (I guess). I milled a 3/8 drive onto a shaft for power tapping in my mill. I feed the quill down with light pressure so it follows the pitch of the tap and lift the handle when it reaches the depth I need and it stops instantly when the 3/8 drive disengages. Re-engage the drive and turn the mill on in reverse and out comes the tap in a few seconds. I used to be nervous tapping at 100 rpm but I tapped the 1/2 x 20 holes pictured at 1200 rpm. Same speed I drilled them at. Maybe everybody but me already knew about this but it sure sped up my tapping.
DSC_0190.JPGDSC_0191.JPG DSC_0194.JPG

I have that tool, that is a great way to use it. The only thing I do prefer about a Chuck is the slip that may prevent a broken tap.

I have that tool, that is a great way to use it. The only thing I do prefer about a Chuck is the slip that may prevent a broken tap.
I hear that! I don't power tap with anything smaller than 5/16 in steel and 1/4 inch in lunamin.

Back