Power tool vs machine tool

If it's possible

• Total voters

Koi

Registered
Registered
This is a question I've been asking myself since the day I got a power tool .Is a power tool a good substitute of a machine tool like a die grinder with carbide burr can I use it to do free hand milling(sounds stupid tho)and how precise can I get assuming I have the best money can buy.I even tried it myself but found it to be a tough work.

If you are skilled enough and have enough time, then I would guess that a power tool could be used in place of a machine tool. I have seen some beautiful work done by hand, but I'm not capable of doing it.

My dad wanted a Bridgeport but never got one, he used files and a disk sander to build his airplane.

So yes, it can be done.

Machine tools provide speed, repeatability and greater precision (generally).

Also, CNC can remove many of the inconsistencies involved with human operators. That’s why most production work is done that way now. However, it will benefit you greatly to develop the skill to do fine work with power tools and hand tools.

An die grinder might be "better" in the sense that you can use it on more things (not just whatever can be clamped to the mill table), but following that logic a file is better still.

If all you have is a die grinder, and a machine tool is too expensive or otherwise burdensome, then you can make a mount for the die grinder and a mount for your workpiece, make sure one of them is on a sliding bearing (or better yet, an X-Y table), and you've got yourself a reasonable substitute for a machine tool.

Just look at log carver. Takes a stump and carves out some beautiful piece with a CHAINSAW, some burrs on a grinder and maybe some sandpaper. I know it’s wood but it can be done with metal too. Mastering the capabilities of each tool is part of the battle. The mind is the limiting factor.

I used to do quite a bit of work with die grinders porting cylinder heads for racing kart engines. It was the only practical tool for that job and I still use it, along with carbide burs for the occasional job.

However, I did have to send out the heads to be surfaced on a mill....

John

• Wow
Reactions: Koi
I took machine shop back in the 1970's in high school.

We had to turn in a block of steel 2" square that we made from a round bar. The only tool we were allowed to use was a Hack saw, a file, a caliper and machinists square. Had to get it to withing .005" on all dims to get an A had to get to within .015" to pass. It took me 2 weeks to get that passing grade and nope, it was not an A

• Wow
Reactions: Koi
The first machine tools were made with nothing but files, so if you wanted to finish it bad enough the only thing stopping you would be yourself....

Koi: some types of work are obviously impossible to do by hand, however many jobs are possible. There is a point at which you need an actual machine tool such as a lathe or milling machine. Really depends on what you need to accomplish, how often, how quickly and to what degree of precision
Mark

Last edited:
Back