Powered ball turner, or How to cut an ideal ball with end mill?

That's cool.
Can you elaborate on your spindle motor? I've seen some Asian 500W brushless motor packages with speed control, power supply & ER collet. Is that what you are using? How are you finding the run time (in terms of heat). Do you have a sense of shaft runout & how the bearings are holding up?

Yes, this is a brushless 500W motor from China. I bought it on Aliexpress. That was a package including a motor, a driver with speed control, ER16 chuck (that was quite hard to find, typically, you can easily find ER11 one), and a mount for the motor. The blower is quite efficient, motor doesn't run really hot. Driver is OK, requires DC supply up to 48V. I used it with 24V first, then bought 48V, adjusted it to 50V. The driver is fault-protected, recovers from overload in 1-2 sec. I wouldn't recommend to use this motor on aluminum, it'd to weak for this. But on wood it works just fine. I didn't measure runout.

More things made on this ball cutter

And the rotary base can be used in a fixed position either, providing a fixed mount for the milling spindle

Here is a new brainteaser made on this setup. The Ball in a Ball with three nested levels.
Two inch diameter, black walnut and cherry wood.
IMG_20200405_153306906 (2).jpg

IMG_20200405_091117383_HDR (2).jpg

Here is a new video about making Star in a Ball, step by step

Back