• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Powermatic 143 Bandsaw

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

USNFC

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Hey everyone, I thought I'd sneak in the first post on the new Powermatic section. I just picked up this Powetmatic model 143 wood/metal bandsaw. It has the typical ugly paint job that someone felt was better than the original, but it runs like a champ.
22608.jpg
22609.jpg
22607.jpg

David VanNorman

It has a larger throat than mine but if it runs like mine it will do you good.

RAGUEL3

Swarf
Registered Member
Afternoon,.. I realize this is a dormant post but I was looking to see what you thought of the Powermatic 143, and how it performed on cutting steel stock for you? I've had the opportunity twice recently to pick up a used one from an industrial/Fab shop environment and before I pulled the trigger, missed out. Specifically, I would be cutting knife making steels/metals with it- 52100, 5160, A2, 80CRV2 , 1095, stainless Damascus , Titanium, etc.
Thanks .

David VanNorman

With the proper blade it will a very good job.

Dave

USNFC

Yes, it is a great saw. I use it for blade steels as well, and I haven't had an issue. Dave is correct though, you do need a quality blade. I have to admit, I've never cut titanium, so I'm not sure about that, but I have cut everything else on your list.

Thanks, Steve

TDPurcell

Swarf
Registered Member
I've got one as well and use it for cutting blade steel and titanium. I think it is a great machine as well.

I cut titanium using the higher speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akajun

Swarf
Registered Member
I have one as well, I need to build new guides for it as mine are on their last leg, but its still a great saw. With a Lennox bi metal blade I have cut 1/2 steel in many shapes, I have no doubt it would cut thicker, the only limitations were the heat build up on the part.

[6]
[5] [7]