Powermatic 350

Dhector

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I acquired an old disc sander. Gave couple hundred for it. It was wired for 220, but my hired guy called his electrician buddy and got it wired and working for 110. I cant find much info on it so I thought Id ask here. I did find this 5430766vintagemachinery.org/pubs/655/1277.pdf ding a serach and it looks right but has a different model number. Any info you guys know of about this? Seems to work well but havent used it much yet. Its got a tilting table which seems pretty cool. Makes me wonder how it will do grinding HSS tools???

IMG_20170926_160703715.jpg

IMG_20170926_160718274.jpg

I acquired an old disc sander. Gave couple hundred for it. It was wired for 220, but my hired guy called his electrician buddy and got it wired and working for 110. I cant find much info on it so I thought Id ask here. I did find this 5430766vintagemachinery.org/pubs/655/1277.pdf ding a serach and it looks right but has a different model number. Any info you guys know of about this? Seems to work well but havent used it much yet. Its got a tilting table which seems pretty cool. Makes me wonder how it will do grinding HSS tools???

View attachment 242762

View attachment 242761
What's the motor TAG say. That looks bigger than a 1.5hp which then requires 220 , you may overheat it if you are pushing it too much.
If it is less than 2hp then you could be alright on 110.

The name plate says 115/230, should be OK on 115VAC. I have found the disc sander a good introduction to power sanding. But the belt sander is the go to power sander in my shop. The disc can load up with crap easily. The outer circumference is the best for sanding, so it gets worn out first and then you are left with the not so efficient sanding in the other areas of the disc. And the sanding disc can be a pain to change and stay in place. But it’s better than nothing. It can also get dangerous if you start sanding on the wrong side! Please be careful! Good Luck…Dave.

Last edited:
I was wrong... again.. damn.
You should be fine.
The nice thing about a disc sander is that they can be more accurate than a belt. Since the belt often rides away from the plate. The disc is attached, and doesn't suffer that. So you can get some very accurate cutting.

Good luck.. Setup some dust collection..

+1 on the accuracy part, at least for sanding wood. I used one that my friend used to own and we were able to split the pencil line on corner radii - very fine control. For grinding HSS tool bits ... not sure about that. You might get away with the side and end faces but for the rake angles you would be working on the wrong side of the disc. I would go for a belt sander if you can find one with the right side of the platen free and clear.

Tried a disc sander for HSS tools and reached the same conclusion as mikey. the first time you get to the wrong side of the wheel will make you mess your self by the way. Even the 1x42 HF belt sander I have seems to feel safer to me grinding tools. In my case I see a 2x72 sander build in my near future.

Oh by the way I was not implying that a disc sander is not a useful tool because it certainly is. :encourage:

Back