Powermatic DP install

AGCB97

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I've posted several ?s about this drill press and such in other recent posts so now that I have most things done and working, thought I would post pictures of it installed.

Because this was one of 3 identical units mounted on a large table, I converted it to a floor model and had to make a adjustable table for it. And because this has the power to spin work that is held by hand, I made a laminated T-slot table (15" x 18") so all work could be clamped down or held in a vise or other device. The table has a coolant trough with outlet on rear.

The table is quite heavy so a lifting device was made to move it up and down. (Just a threaded rod with a ball thrust bearing on the bottom and turned by a drill motor or by hand with a ratchet.)

It is powered by a XSY-AT1 VFD.

With such a nice table size I also made a new vise for it with 8" wide jaws that open to 10".

1st pic shows original installed on table with 2 identical units (consecutive serial numbers)

The other 2 units are still available for a fantastic price!!

Attachments

• DSCF3849.JPG
    DSCF3849.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 342
  • DSCF3978.JPG
    DSCF3978.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 330
  • DSCF3980.JPG
    DSCF3980.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 337
  • DSCF3981.JPG
    DSCF3981.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 330
  • DSCF3979.JPG
    DSCF3979.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 341
That's a great conversion. Pat yourself on the back for a job well done.
I've been tossing around ideas for modifying the table or making a new one for my old 17 inch Jet to give more flexibility in clamping. Your laminated table is a very clever fix.. Did you have to put any other bracing on the underside of the table to prevent sag? If you get an opportunity I'd be interested in seeing some close ups of the lift mechanism. If Michigan weren't so far away from SW Washington State I would be tempted to upgrade to one of your Powermatics but I expect freight would be prohibitively expensive.
Jerry

So I started with a 15 x 18 5/16" plate. The T-slots were created by placing 5x5 pieces of 1/4" bar stock on top of 4x4 pieces of same. 1st these were drilled and through hole MIG welded in the middle. Then each set was drilled in all 4 corners and carefully layed out upside down. All the holes were then welded from the bottom of the hole up so there were no welds to see on top.

The column sleeve was clamped to the column and the table also clamped to the column square in both directions before bottom braces were welded from the bottom. There is no detectable play in the setup and it is very strong. The column clamp is about 6" long.

The raising device is just a 5/8" threaded rod with a loose captured nut on the table. This still allows for table swiveling.

Thanks for looking.
Aaron

Attachments

• DSCF3982.JPG
    DSCF3982.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 292
  • DSCF3983.JPG
    DSCF3983.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 312
  • DSCF3984.JPG
    DSCF3984.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 332
  • DSCF3985.JPG
    DSCF3985.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 296
Very creative......I was trying to figure out why I did NOT see any fasteners on the table top.
Well Done!

thanks for sharing it!
-brino

I've posted several ?s about this drill press and such in other recent posts so now that I have most things done and working, thought I would post pictures of it installed.

Because this was one of 3 identical units mounted on a large table, I converted it to a floor model and had to make a adjustable table for it. And because this has the power to spin work that is held by hand, I made a laminated T-slot table (15" x 18") so all work could be clamped down or held in a vise or other device. The table has a coolant trough with outlet on rear.

The table is quite heavy so a lifting device was made to move it up and down. (Just a threaded rod with a ball thrust bearing on the bottom and turned by a drill motor or by hand with a ratchet.)

It is powered by a XSY-AT1 VFD.

With such a nice table size I also made a new vise for it with 8" wide jaws that open to 10".

1st pic shows original installed on table with 2 identical units (consecutive serial numbers)

The other 2 units are still available for a fantastic price!!
Did you buy this from that outfit in Minneapolis? I seen three on a table there also, and was considering buying one of them, but then I came across an old Delta-Milwaukee with foot switch in c-list for $50 so I bought that......thanks

Did you buy this from that outfit in Minneapolis? I seen three on a table there also...

No. I liquidated a large machine shop for a friend. Sold about 40 machines over a 2 year period.
Aaron

Cool,yes that is a nice one....I love PowerMatic their built like tanks, in this day and age of everything made from plastic, it is easy to appreciate a fine piece of craftsmanship.....thanks

Back