Pratt & Whitney 3C mill

DiscoDan

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Picked up a 3c mill today. In great condition. Has one if the unobtainium collets but I will see if I can retrofit a more common one. Motor is an interesting variable speed Craftsman motor. Will post pics tomorrow when I get it in the shop.

Hi
What year would this be? Did you get the vertical head?
Waiting for pics :)
Cheers
Martin

It is WW2 because it has a war production board tag on it. No vertical head but I have seen plans on YouTube to build one. Also keeping eyes open for smaller heads like Rusnok.

Interesting little mill. Has Craftsman variable speed motor (500 to 5000 rpm). Drive pulley is up inside the housing instead of external. Has one collet (3/4") plus a boring bar. The collets are supposed to be unobtanium 4pn. The one in the machine is the correct 1.000 diameter but is longer than anyythingspecs I see for the 4pn and somewhere between the 4pn and 5pn length. The thread is the correct 16 threads per inch. At least I have one. Everything is tight and works smoothly. Someone removed the x-axis lead screw and replaced with the speed handle system. I see a P&W screw on ebay that may work but would have to fab the mounting plate that screws to the end of the table. Real happy for $450.

And the collet doesn't have any markings on the face like I have seen with most P&W collets.

Back