Precision Bench Brand?

I'm trying to make room for a new lathe myself, part of the reason for the offer
A bigger lathe does not take up all that much more room than a 11 or 12.
Mine might just stay in my shop for 2nd operations... who knows...
Best of luck on your search

Rich

Its just easy to fit a 600 pound or so bench lathe in my existing work space. My HD built in benches have storage below and above the bench tops. I've got some old iron machines from the 40's already crowding me, just shy a lathe. I wish I had more room, never enough it seems.

Thanks

Do you guys think a 1988 12x24 no-name lathe with 1 hp is worth $2300.00? Thats what the bidding is at tonight and it ain't over yet. Maybe I'm too cheap on it, but I rather buy new at that price. I keep seeing these lathes sale for more than what they cost when new. Doesn't make sense to me, are the old asian lathes better than the current ones?

Ulma Doctor found my Jet 1024 in his area, and shipped it to TX. With a full blown VFD with proximity (Thanks to Mark), 2HP Marathon motor, and an all steel stand, all together is just barely more than 2300. I will not sell it for 2X of what I have in it, it is that good of a lathe.
20170302_003756.jpg

With all the extras , 5c collet if lever is $600.00 list , have to figure all that comes with it. Does it have a taper attachment . Must be a reason it's bids high.

Nah, not anything that great, the 12x24 came with some goodies, 3 jaw, 4 jaw and a QCTP. It wasn't bare though. I just rather have something more current with parts support at that price. I was guessing it was worth around $1400, maybe $1500. I was surprised it sold at South Bend pricing. If it was a JET or Grizzly I may have bought it, I just never heard of the brand.

When it hit $2300 for me I was thinking of a 12x36 with a warranty with the same accessories for around $3,000 or less. The current Chinese 12x36 lathes with 2 hp and a gap bed aren't much more $ wise brand new. A 12x24 Grizzly is around $2800 retail. I'm leaning heavy towards a Precision Mathews with a warranty and dealer support. Decisions, decisions, decisions!

That Jet lathe looks nice. There is on here on CL for $1100 but looks really bad in the pics. It's a 200 mile drive so not very inclined to go look at it. I'd sell my Acra in a heart beat though for a really nice Jet.

Back