Precision Drill Sharpener

Mark,

I've read all your projects, one of these days I will try to copy some of the less complicated ones. With my limited skills it would be a challenge I am sure. This sharpener would probably be the first on my list as I am fast accumulating a few drill bits that need sharpening

You do great work, sir.

Mark,

I've read all your projects, one of these days I will try to copy some of the less complicated ones. With my limited skills it would be a challenge I am sure. This sharpener would probably be the first on my list as I am fast accumulating a few drill bits that need sharpening

You do great work, sir.
This is not too difficult. And if you have questions, I would help all I can.

I started to work on the spindle for the drill sharpener. I bored the index ring to fit the spindle which is 25 mm.
image.jpeg Believe it or not .... This thing took me 3 hours to make. After boring the hole , half the diameter( 1.470") plus half the index pin diameter (.125") has to be milled off to make the spindle index to exactly 180 degrees. This must be within .0005" to sharpen drills accurately. So to do this.... I set it up on the mill, touched of on the front edge, figured the diameter (1.470") divided by 2 is .735" minus half of the .125 pin diameter which is .0625". This makes the finish size of the milled off part .6725". To be able to measure this I used my scale (.033" thick ) across the opening and mic the distance which figured out to .6725" - .033" = .6395". Now why did I bother to explain all this? There is something you all don't know about me. I CANT WORK WITH NUMBERS! .... I am dyslexic when it comes to numbers. I have to figure , figure again, check my math , and figure again ..... and I get a different answer every time. That is why it took 3 hours to make this little piece. Dyslexia is a problem for me on everything I build. ( I think that is why it takes me so long to make something .... LOL)

Mark, it may take you a while, But you do such nice work, in which I can say I would have trouble even getting close to. You could ask Bamban I am slow as well, I check and recheck things all the time, but my work does not come out that nice.

It is always better to take your time and do something right than to have to do it over because you missed something or made a mistake.

Math has always been a problem for me. Not dyslexic but used to have to review even basic math, fractions n such, at least once a year or I couldn't do it.
My head just don't do math without extreme effort.
At one point I spent most of my spare time over a couple years learning some basic algebra from books. It's amazing how powerful and useful that was.
For the most part I was simply plugging numbers into a formula from the machinists hand book but a few times found use for comparative and other formulas.
Kept a folder of machinist/ mechanical formulas and information as I couldn't retain them in my head.
Found it funny that several of my co-workers referred to some of the simplex math problems I had to deal with as " High Math".
Seems most of us find it difficult at best.
Not many can preform the caliber of work you do even if they are good at math.

I finished up the Index ring and made the lock screw for it. I will check the 180 degree function once the block is made.
image.jpeg

This is the grinding wheel adapter. I spent hours making this and while machining to length ripped it from the chuck and chewed it up. I had to cut off all the damage and changed my design so I could still use it.
image.jpeg

The diamond wheel mounted.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

If it still works it is good, And from the pics, you cannot tell it was changed. Looks like is was supposed to be.

If it still works it is good, And from the pics, you cannot tell it was changed. Looks like is was supposed to be.
That's what a good machinist does. Mistakes become revisions.:grin:

That's what a good machinist does. Mistakes become revisions.:grin:

I used to tell all the guys working for me. If you screw up don't scrap the part til you talk to me. If the mating part is not made yet we can always change things to fit rather than make a new part. Especially if it was a part that took a while to make. Then I would give engineering the new changes.

Back