precision keyless chuck with R8 shank

miles&me

Registered
Registered
Does anyone use one of these chucks in your mill? Are you happy with it for drilling holes? Says it has .001 runout. please let me know if you would buy it again or if you regret having bought it. thanks

Everyone uses them . >.001 runout for a drill chuck isn't bad , after all it's a drill chuck and not a precision tool . :)

People who are fine with 0.001" will like it, and those who need better, won't. Also, those who haven't compared it to a high end unit are also probably happy with it. Both the preceding describes me, so yes, I'm happy with mine.

BTW, drill chuck errors tend to be affected more so by inaccurate hole placement, and/or the drill bit "walking", and applies to all drill chucks regardless of quality.

Last edited:
I purchased a keyless 0-5/8" from tormach that I found to be too long to be used effectively on my mill with its limited Z travel. It now sits on my lathe tailstock and I love it. Keyless is the way to go.

I use keyless chucks, keyed chucks, and collets for drilling on the mills. Keyless has the advantage of faster tool change but adds the most length to the tool setup. Keyed is slower but doesn't add as much length. Also keyless chucks tend to be self tightening which can be a problem with large drills so many prefer I use a keyed chuck for those applications. Personally, I have never experience a lockup with my keyless chucks though.

Collets are the slowest to change out and can be problematic when vertical travel is limited and it is impractical to offset in the x or y direction to unload and load a collet. With a DRO, this is less of an issue as it is relatively simple to move horizontally for tool change and accurately return to your work position. Collets have an advantage in that the added length for holding a drill is minimal so the tool offset is closer to that of your other tooling. This can be important on a mill with limited z axis travel. Collets also tend to have less runout than a chuck as well.

I use the Tormach TTS system and use ER20 collets. This system requires only 1-1/2" clearance for a tool change vs. 4" for an R8 collet. With multiple collet chucks, I can preload all the tooling and enter tool offsets necessary for a project. I use the TTS system on my mill/drill as well as the Tormach CNC. For any drilling where an accurate depth is required, I will measure and use tool offsets but for most drilling, it is sufficient to touch off on the surface and drill further by the required depth as noted on the DRO.

Does anyone use one of these chucks in your mill? Are you happy with it for drilling holes? Says it has .001 runout. please let me know if you would buy it again or if you regret having bought it. thanks

Bought one of those from PM, use it, like it, do not regret it.

What chuck has .001" run-out?

Funny how they go to the fifth decimal on specs .00078. Then induce spindle runout your at a .001 so they’re right on.

Sorry that is incorrect. first one TIR max .00156" and the second .002"
I think those are very nice chucks. Anyone know the manufacturer?

Back